cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a server using backup/recovery - DB pointing back to old server!!??

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

Okay, Iu2019ve tried to create a failover server here at my client and Iu2019ve hit a mysterious snag (at least to me). This is what Iu2019ve done.

1. I installed a vanilla 4.6C system on CANPRDFO server using the same version of Oracle (10.2.0.4) and the same version of SAP R/3 4.6C using the same directory structures as the CANPRD1 server.

2. I then took a backup of CANPRD1 (the live prod server) and brought back to the other office and restored most of it onto the failover server. This included

a. The database drives (I:\oracle\PRD and K:\oracle\PRD)

b. The redo and mirror logs (G:\oracle\PRD and H:\oracle\PRD)

c. The SAP directories (E:\usr\sap\PRD)

d. Selected Oracle directories (F:\oracle\PRD\saparch, F:\oracle\PRD\102\database and F:\oracle\PRD\102\NETWORK and E:\oracle\PRD [which contained sapbackup/sapcheck/etc])

3. I then modified the SAP profiles to ensure that all references to CANPRD1 were changed to CANPRDFO

4. I also changed the files in F:\oracle\PRD\102\database and F:\oracle\PRD\102\NETWORK so that all references to CANPRD1 were changed to CANPRDFO.

5. I rebooted the server.

6. I verified that the Oracle and SAP services started correctly

7. I opened a command prompt and logged onto SQLPLUS (connect / as sysdba)

8. I went to startup the database and it said it was already started!!!

My suspicion at this point was u201CHoly Crap! Iu2019m connected to the production system! My suspicions were right!u201D)

I searched high and low in the files and the registry for references to CANPRD1, but couldnu2019t find any. So I changed the HOSTS file with entries that read as belowu2026

127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 canprdfo canprdfo.brenntag.ca

127.0.0.1 canprd1 canprd1.brenntag.ca

I figured that would teach u2018em! Which it did! Once I put that in, the system started just fine.

SOu2026. My question isu2026. Anyone know what I missed? Iu2019m sure itu2019s something simple, but Iu2019ll be darned if I can think of it.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats correct. You did not change the DBSID after copying to the new server. May be you can have a look at homogeneous system copy guide at http://service.sap.com/systemcopy.

murray_lahn
Participant
0 Kudos

The DBSID did not change as part of this copy. The intention is for this to be a failover server eventually and so I wanted it the same.