Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BDC or HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

doing some research on the relative adv's/disadv's of using either HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION or BDC on transaction PA30 to upload file data into corresponding infotypes.

so far i found that:

1. HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION must be confined to small amounts of data as it uses a CALL DIALOG approach and we may even run out of buffer memory.

2. HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION takes less amount of time when compared with BDC

3.programming will be easy when the fm HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION is used.

It would be great if some of u can add few more points to the list viz.,

1.what happens if, if there are any custom fields in the infotype?

2.what happens if the country grouping changes?

i would be more than happy if some of u can provide me related links/threads to explore.

reward guaranteed

7 REPLIES 7

former_member181966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You’ll find many thread sif you find "HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION

" . but If you’ll see my old thread . This Fm can cause buffer problem.

I recommend you to write BDC for each It’s , as I wrote around 20 Conversion programs for country specific conversion from legacy system .

We used this Fm once, but when the input data is low it ran it to buffer problem.

1- Then you have add another fields in your BDC, where as You can pass all structure in this FM. but your input data will be change .

2- As far country grouping is concern you’ll find different screen for different countries .

<u><b>One of my post answer</b></u>

We used the function module "HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION" for this purpose earlier. We do have this in some of our programs. This uses the same function module HR_MAINTAIN_MASTERDATA after performing some checks. It uses 'call dialog' , which is again the simulation of transaction screens to update the infotypes.It is not advisable to use this function module in large conversions as we could run into buffering issues.

In addition to this the BDC will have all the authorization checks in the respective infotype programs which we can make use of. I suggest BDC's for the uploads with the combination of Call Transaction & BDC sessions for the errors.

Hope this`1l give you some idea.

Thanks

Saquib Khan

LucianoBentiveg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Two more related FMs:

HR_MAINTAIN_MASTERDATA

RH_INSERT_INFTY, this works only with PD-Infotypes. (says BEGDA < ENDDA)

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

You have done your research.. I agree with 1,2 & 3 and will add 4 ie You cannot use HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION to preform a hiring action. You will have to use HR_MAINTAIN_MASTERDATA for that.

About your other questions

>>what happens if, if there are any custom fields in the infotype?

You will essentially fill up & pass the Pnnn structure to the function call. So the custom fields , if any, would also be passd to the function.

>>what happens if the country grouping changes?

Again, it shouldn't impact the basic functionality as you will be passing the Pnnn structure, So you will know what fields to fill up in this structure if there is any Country Group specific validation.

Regards,

Sureh Datti

0 Kudos

Hi Saquib/Suresh,

Thank u for ur prompt replies,

can i confirm that either the country groupig or the custome fields don't make any difference(i.e., don't need any special handling) either when the FM'S based approach is used or the BDC approach?

It would be of great if u can add some more inputs may be major/minor apart from these points discussed or refer any relatd documentation for me to explore.

0 Kudos

With the BDC, you need not worry about locking the pernr as the call to the Tcode would take care of that. With the function call, you will have to explicitly lock & unloack the pernr. This would be cumbersome, if you are updating more than one infotype in the same program.

Regards,

Suresh Datti

0 Kudos

You might also prefer a BDC to the function call, in situations where the Infotype has a steploop. I remember Saquib & Usman were facing serious issues with this function for one such infotype. Another troublepsot could be when the infotype has a secondary infotype for ex whenever a dependent is created in 0021, the system automatically creates a corresponding 0106 on the fly. You will ahve to be wary of the fact to fill & pass the secondary infotype structure to the function.

Regards,

Suresh Datti

0 Kudos

can anybody provide me some more inputs?