cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed storage bin strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I have to use fixed storage bin strategy in a storage type; I'd like to manage quants in that storage type both with Handling Unit and without HU.

For the system if the "HU management" is active for a storage type, then quants have always to be in an HU.

My question is: is there a way to bypass this restriction? Why if no strategy is active is it possible to manage both the cases and when active it is not??

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have to use fixed storage bin strategy in a storage type; I'd like to manage quants in that storage type both with Handling Unit and without HU.

For the system if the "HU management" is active for a storage type, then quants have always to be in an HU.

My question is: is there a way to bypass this restriction? Why if no strategy is active is it possible to manage both the cases and when active it is not??

I'm not aware of any setting to set "HU management" active for a storage type. You can set HU requirement for a SLoc (storage location) in V_T001W_L (SPRO > Logistics General > Handling Unit Management > Basics > Material Management > IM > HU Requirement for SLoc and Default Values for Deliveries)

If you assign two SLoc to your WH and for one of them HU requirement is set, for the other HU requirement is not set, you can have both HU and "normal" quant in one storage bin (depends on other settings)

E.g.

WH; SLoc; storage type; bin; quant

001; SL01; 001; 01-01-01; Q1 (HU)

001; SL02; 001; 01-01-01; Q2 (non HU)

/SL01 > HU req. set; SL02 > HU req. is not set/

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Jun 19, 2009 7:44 AM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Csaba,

I apologize but maybe I didn't not use the correct words to describe my situation.

We already have two storage locations: one with HU set and the other is not. Up to now we didn't specify any Putaway strategy so we can manage both HU and normal quants in the same bin of the storage type.

But now we need to specify, only for a storage type, the "Fixed bins" strategy so that transfer orders automatically detect the combination of Storage type + Storage Bin for all the materials that have these informations in the master data.

Having that strategy set for that storage type, when I try to do a good issue MM in the storage location which have HU req. set and then I try to create the related transfer order, system doesn't allow me to finish the creation because "If a putaway strategy is activated for a storage type, handling units can only be put away when storage unit management is also active for this storage type"

So you have to go to:

SPRO > Logistic Execution > Warehouse Management > Master Data > Define Storage Type in the details there is a flag named "SU mgmt active". If this flag is active (I'm reading from the system)

- it is assumed that all the materials are stored in or on storage units

- each storage unit has its own unique number

But if this flag is activated, I can't hold anymore quants in the storage location without HU req. set!!!!

Help!!

Thanx..

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even if the flag is set (SU management is active for that storage type) you can place goods into the bins of that storage type which goods are stored in a SLoc w/o HU req.

These goods (under SLoc w/o HU req.) will get a SU number but certainly they won't become HU (please understand that not every SU is HU but every HU is SU in WM).

I tried the same and I can have normal SU (goods in SLoc w/o HU req.) and HU-SU (goods in SLoc with HU req.) in a storage type for which SU is active (number range of SU might be different).

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/2d/584bc5a70f11d2b44e006094b9b9dd/frameset.htm

Regards,

Csaba