cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralized Master Data Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to understand your point of view on going for a centralized master data management rather than have the data in disparate systems.. example vendor master in SRM system, customer master in CRM etc.

thanks

anantharam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Anatha... the frist imagination of mine when I saw CMDM is that there will be central data base system for which ever the location across the globe and what ever the object would be and MDM would sit closely to the Central data base system to clean, normalize and de-duplicate the master data records. I think this approach is good when they are starting up from scratch. But If I remember and understand correctly this is one being sugested in best pratices too WHY!?! . I guess this would not disturb any of the process.

Will there will be geographical and connectivity constraints?

Thanks

Edited by: SDN POWERED on Jun 20, 2009 10:24 AM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi anantharam,

example vendor master in SRM system, customer master in CRM etc.

1 If you have Vendor in SRM and Customer in CRm, the same data will be in ECC also.

2 Now its possible that all systems are connected or not connected to each other and share the underlying master data.

3 Also there can be more systems in landscape using same masters but not connected/talking to each other.

4 There can be multiple create points for same master data.

Hence its better to have a central place if multiple systems have the same master data and can share. This will have multiple advantages which you might be aware.

The comes the CMDM. There are 2 approaches.

1. Create from MDM directly (Global data only or all data)

2. Create from 1 of the system and get validated from MDM.

However before jumpling to CMDM, something must be done for already existing master data which can be duplicate, not correct within system and across systems. This requires attention by consolidation first.

Hope this helps,

+ An

• This is not an official message and not related to my organization.

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

To be very frank, just got off from a discussion with SAP MDM folks iteself on scope and stretegies with MDM. So won't write alot. The bottomline of the discussion was

If you have ECC/SAP systems where your date is created, use MDM as only a consolidation system only with the minimum number of fields as required. Do not load MDM.

Reason being, if you make it a system of record for creation, you are reinventing the complete SAP transaction on MDM, which is not required, instead create the records in ECC and send it to MDM with the key mapping for different systems. Thus the MDM knows which system the update is coming from and what all systems it needs to be sent to.

Thats my 2 cents to it.

Regards,

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anantharam,

Central master Data Management ( CMDM) gets in lot of advantages over having data in disparate systems.

In case you have your master data maintained in various systems, there is a bright possibility that they are maintained differently in different system.CMDM gets in a lot of standardization and de-duplications.

That means, You will finally have only one form of the master data which will be centrally created in MDM and then the data might be exported to different systems for local or transactional processing.You will be easily to identify potential duplicates. For ex, while dealing with customer, in case same customers are maintained with 2 different names, it will be difficult to give the customer a proper credit.

Please go through the link below to understand better :CMDM:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50d249b3-7216-2a10-4e9c-e7abceb0...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/101cba73-993b-2b10-b5a2-a6ef5846...

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anantharam,

Master data is a company asset. The better the data, the better business operation (and the lower the costs)

central master-data management provides a single source of record by creating/updating master data centrally on MDM, supported by workflow-controlled approvals and periodic distribution to client systems.

With SAP NetWeaver MDM, a central comprehensive repository can be created with enriched content that can be used as the single source of truth for all enterprise master data on an inter and intra-enterprise scale.

We can maintain Vendor master in SRM system & Customer Master in CRM, in these systems we are not having cleansing & Search functionalities e.t.c., SAP NetWeaver MDM enables centralized maintenance and storage of globally relevant master data information and allows subsequent distribution to client systems.

Hope this may help you,

Thanks,

srinivas