Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export a role definition from PRD and import into DEV or QAS

0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I just have a strange problem. One complicated role exists and assigned to users in the PRD system, but not exists in DEV and QAS system. I think my predecessor created the role directly in the PRD system without starting from DEV. Now I need this role in QAS system and modify it for UAT.

I think I maybe there are two options for me:

Option 1:

Manually create a role with same authorizations in DEV, modify it then transport to QAS, then transport to PRD after UAT. But I don't know whether this way the original role definition in the PRD system can be modified accordingly. Could you advise?

Option 2:

Are there any procedures which can be followed to export the role definition from PRD and import into DEV? After modification in dev then transport to QAS, PRD

Or are there any other approach to make the role definition consistent in the 3 systems ?

Thanks and rergards,

YBY

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

u got 2 options,

easy way would be,

download the role from ur PR and upload it to QA and DEV and make sure you maintain the same 'Profile Name' as ur PR before generating the role in DEV/QA. So this makes sure that if you transport this role next time from DEV /QA to PR this role gets updated.

if you generate as it is without considering of using the profile name in PR. whenever you transport this role, it won't update the role.and causes inconsistency.

tough way,

open ur PR system and release a transport for this role and import the transport to ur QA and DEV.

if there is no transport route, ur basis team can do it from OS level.

6 REPLIES 6

sdipanjan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Download the role from Prod and Upload into the DEV and QAS. After uploading you need to generate the Profile of the role in each system to register (in layman language) it's existence in the DEV and QAS DB.

Regards,

Dipanjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

u got 2 options,

easy way would be,

download the role from ur PR and upload it to QA and DEV and make sure you maintain the same 'Profile Name' as ur PR before generating the role in DEV/QA. So this makes sure that if you transport this role next time from DEV /QA to PR this role gets updated.

if you generate as it is without considering of using the profile name in PR. whenever you transport this role, it won't update the role.and causes inconsistency.

tough way,

open ur PR system and release a transport for this role and import the transport to ur QA and DEV.

if there is no transport route, ur basis team can do it from OS level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

To solve the issue,

1. download the role and upload it in DEV system.

2. Generate the profile with same profile name.

3. make the required changes in DEV system.

4. then tranport the role in QA system.

5. after UAT, transport the role in entire landscape.

Regards,

Sandip.

0 Kudos

Dear all,

Many thanks for your advices.

Completed the download and upload, and will do the modification soon.

The book say that it is needed to set USER_REL_IMPORT:=NO in the control table PRGN_CUST by using SM30, to prevent transport user assignment with the role. But it is not clear that:

1. Where should I set this entry, in source or in target?

2. In case this table entry is not set, and just clear the checkbox "user assignment" during transport, Can I prevent the user assignment from being transported ?

Thanks

YBY

0 Kudos

>

> The book say that it is needed to set USER_REL_IMPORT:=NO in the control table PRGN_CUST by using SM30, to prevent transport user assignment with the role. But it is not clear that:

>

> 1. Where should I set this entry, in source or in target?

>

Both. Of course it is first verified when you are creating Change request including some roles in it. This table restriction will prevent you to "mistakenly" move User assignment from Dev to Prod which is inevitably different in Dev and Prod as per SOD rules.

> 2. In case this table entry is not set, and just clear the checkbox "user assignment" during transport, Can I prevent the user assignment from being transported ?

>

Yes.. you can.. but you should be cautious to make this sure...

Regards,

Dipanjan

0 Kudos

>

> The book say that it is needed to set USER_REL_IMPORT:=NO in the control table PRGN_CUST by using SM30, to prevent transport user assignment with the role. But it is not clear that:

>

> 1. Where should I set this entry, in source or in target?

>

Both. Of course it is first verified when you are creating Change request including some roles in it. This table restriction will prevent you to "mistakenly" move User assignment from Dev to Prod which is inevitably different in Dev and Prod as per SOD rules.

> 2. In case this table entry is not set, and just clear the checkbox "user assignment" during transport, Can I prevent the user assignment from being transported ?

>

Yes.. you can.. but you should be cautious to make this sure...

Regards,

Dipanjan