cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running R/3 4.7 on a Windows Server 2008 System during an upgrade

0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am plannung an upgrade project from R/3 4.7x200 to ERP6.0. The system is running on MaxDB. It's a single stack ABAP System.

Currently the system is running on a 32 bit Windows Server 2003. During the project we want to go to a new x86 64bit hardware with OS Windows Server 2008.

In order to use the speed of the new hardware also during the upgrade I want to move the systems to the new HW before starting the upgrade.

The problem is that runnning R/3 4.7 on Windows Server 2008 is not supported by SAP. On the other hand running the target release ERP6.0 on Windows Server 2008 is officially supported by SAP. This information comes from the PAM.

From the past I know that SAP allowed to run unsupported DB, OS and Release combinations during an upgrade project but I didn't find any information which fits to my situation.

Does anyone have experience with this constellation? Is there an official statement concerning this request?

Thanks for you support!

Regards

Bernd

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In order to use the speed of the new hardware also during the upgrade I want to move the systems to the new HW before starting the upgrade.

Very understandable.

> The problem is that runnning R/3 4.7 on Windows Server 2008 is not supported by SAP. On the other hand running the target release ERP6.0 on Windows Server 2008 is officially supported by SAP. This information comes from the PAM.

>

> From the past I know that SAP allowed to run unsupported DB, OS and Release combinations during an upgrade project but I didn't find any information which fits to my situation.

There is a note

Note 1040931 - SAP Kernel on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

which says, that a 6.40 kernel is available for Windows 2008 (and successor version of that version are also working).

I would create an OSS call (BC-OP-NT) and ask if SAP will support you, I don't think this should be a big problem since the kernels and database are already supported even if there's no official statement in the PAM (yet).

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nicola_blasi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernd

i'm your same situation some year after;-)

can you tell me if 4.7 enterprise for a short period, until the upgrade will finish, you have had problems in win 2008x64?

Thanks

Nicola

0 Kudos

Hi Markus!

first Thanks for your input! I also found this note and it's possible to derive that the procedure I planned is OK... but I was still missing an official statement.

So I opened the OSS Message (0000594749) to the component you mentioned but the support answered that this would be a consultant task to support me in this area (?!?)....

They asked me to open a thread here in SDN.

I send the message back to SAP and stated that I disagree with the statement that the confirmation of platform support is consulting...but until now I have no feedback.

So I hoped someone already has some official statement from SAP.

We would be running Production with release 4.7 on Windows 2008 for 3 weeks or so...and I will need official support for that, just for the case something goes wrong...

Regards

Bernd

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So I opened the OSS Message (0000594749) to the component you mentioned but the support answered that this would be a consultant task to support me in this area (?!?)....

I know one person who works for/in this component who did this several times to me too.

> They asked me to open a thread here in SDN.

That person did that too.

> I send the message back to SAP and stated that I disagree with the statement that the confirmation of platform support is consulting...but until now I have no feedback.

Just insist on a statement. If you still get the message back, contact the CIC (support dot emea at sap dot com) since you seem to be located in the UK according to your business card) and ask them to give you a different message processor.

> So I hoped someone already has some official statement from SAP.

Those special support statements are valid for a specific installation only so even if someone would have it for their installation it may not be valid for yours.

> We would be running Production with release 4.7 on Windows 2008 for 3 weeks or so...and I will need official support for that, just for the case something goes wrong...

I don't think this should be a problem. Technically the kernel supports it (according to the note) and also the database.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Just wonder wether you used Windows 2008 for your upgrade and if yes, what was your experience?

Was your starting release 4.7x200 or 4.7x110?

Rgds