cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh for ECC & PI in Oracle MCOD database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are running our ECC system on linux and oracle. Our ECC Development system and PI Develeopment system is running on one box and on the same database (MCOD). The same is with the ECC production and PI production running on the same system and same database (MCOD).

Now our requirement is to refresh the ECC development system from ECC PRD system. But we don't want to do any changes in PI system. One option is that we can export the DEV Pi schema by running SAPINST and than refresh the ECC DEV system with ECC PRD system.

After this we will install fresh PI where it will ask for DB export we will give the path of the PI export which we have taken. But i am not sure this is possible or not. Is this possible??

Or Is there any other easy possible ways to do it?

Thanks,

Bhanu

Edited by: Bhanu Pratap Singh on Jun 17, 2009 4:36 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now our requirement is to refresh the ECC development system from ECC PRD system. But we don't want to do any changes in PI system. One option is that we can export the DEV Pi schema by running SAPINST and than refresh the ECC DEV system with ECC PRD system.

>

> After this we will install fresh PI where it will ask for DB export we will give the path of the PI export which we have taken. But i am not sure this is possible or not. Is this possible??

This is one big drawback of MCOD, you will always copy all. What makes things even more difficult is the fact, that a PI is basically an MCOD itself - it's ABAP + Java - which must both be copied. So you would need

- export the full PI system (ABAP + Java) - which is a homogeneous system copy Part I

- copy the database

- fiddle on database level to delete both PI schemas (ABAP + Java)

- install a new PI as homogeneous system copy Part II

Technically it's feasible but I wonder, that if you already try to separate the instances, why not install a second ORACLE_HOME on the QA (and later also on PRD) so you can in the future copy the system independently from each other?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, i have not done this myself, but wouldn't it be possible to use sapinst to copy ECC prod to dev? Don't do anything with PI, don't recreate the dev database, just overwrite ECC dev. sapinst will ask if you want to do the MCOD installation in a existing database.

But i agree with Markus, in the long run you might think of separating the systems anyway.

Regards, Michael

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

An MCOD installation has ONE database and TWO schema, if you copy the ERP database in includes the PI database part in the schema, that's what MCOD is about.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thanks for your reply!!

So what is the best possible way so that we can refresh or ECC DEV system without affecting PI DEV?

Thanks,

Bhanu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you read my previous reply? My suggestion is there...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

An MCOD installation has ONE database and TWO schema

Of course, in his case he has three schemas, sapecc for the ECC, and sapxi and sapxidb for the PI abap and java.

if you copy the ERP database in includes the PI database part in the schema, that's what MCOD is about.

Of course, but i suggested only to export the ECC (the sapecc schema) with sapinst and do an MCOD installation into the existing database. The sapxi and sapxidb schema would not be touched. I really don't see, why this shouldn't work...

Best regards, Michael

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Of course, but i suggested only to export the ECC (the sapecc schema) with sapinst and do an MCOD installation into the existing database. The sapxi and sapxidb schema would not be touched. I really don't see, why this shouldn't work...

True - but ERP 6.0 is usually HUGE, exporting that using R3load will take a few hours to export (where you have to stop it to keep it consistent) and another few to import. Your PI is much smaller and will run faster. But yes, both ways should technically work.

Markus

Answers (0)