cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offline disk backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

i want to take full offline disk backup on mount point /bakoffline with the help of brtools.

how can i do this. plz help.

SAP -> ECC6

Database -> Oracle10g

OS --> AIX

Regards

Karan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> i want to take full offline disk backup on mount point /bakoffline with the help of brtools.

> how can i do this. plz help.

>

> SAP -> ECC6

> Database -> Oracle10g

> OS --> AIX

I would recommend reading the documentation for backup/recovery:

--> Backup and Recovery

Oracle is a very complex database and to do administration tasks successfully it's crucial to understand, how the database works. Follwing "step-by-step" guides may be convenient but in case of an error/problem, you may have no idea how to proceed.

I suggest reading the mentioned guide to understand what options you have and what you need to configure.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You need to edit the initsid.sap file for this.But before you begin editing do take a backup of the old file.

You need to change the device type to disk;change the back_root dir and archiveroot_dir to the destination filesyste;backup_type to offline;Check issuing a query befoerr you begin the backup to see if the brbackup is successfull or not.You get the command from the log of the last sucessfull backup and run it with the -q option.

thanks,

Prasanna

Edited by: Prasanna K on Jun 17, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I become successful in taking offline backup, but I got following problems

1. Unable to take offline backup when SAP is running.

- Brtools is unable to stopdb

2. Unable to take online backup

- log is showing

"cp /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sr3_1/sr3.data1 /sapbackup/bectbizf/sr3.data1 failed"

I changed ownership of my /sapbackup directory from root to oraSID:dba, I provided full permission to this folder also.

I tried to execute above command manually then system saying invalid parameter line..even I can't copy this data file to tmp directory also. I tried to copy by root, sidadm and orasid but no success.

Finally I stopped SAP, then I executed offline backup...then brtool started the backup activity.

But this process doesn't make sence while considering first problem.

I am unable to track...why brtools is unable to stopdb for offline backup and why I am unable to take online backup.

In my solman (which is based on windows), I am able to take online / offline backup by using brtools without error, but in Development (on AIX) its nt happenin

Any more guidline will be very helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos