cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Unable to obtain Oracle release after upgrade to 10.2.0.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We've just done an upgrade of Oracle from 9.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.4.

There were no indications of any problems but when I log onto SAP, I get a program dump.

I have tracked the problem down to be the fact that SAP is basically unable to retrieve the Oracle version. If I do a 'System -> Status', then the Oracle release is blank.

If I try to run, for eg, DB02 or ST04, then I get a DB_RELEASE_UNKNOWN error.

DB_GET_RELEASE is the function module being used, and this in turn calls 'DB_GET_REL' which is a system call. If I test DB_GET_RELEASE by itself, then it returns a blank string.

We have upgraded 2 other test systems which reside on the same server without experiencing this problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? I suspect we may be missing a table or something that holds the Oracle release.

Does anyone know where SAP retrieves the Oracle release from?

TIA.

Regards....John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Check below link

Thanks,

Sushil

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I should add that this is an ECC 5.0 system with a 6.40 kernel.

The kernel is currently at level 274.

The BASIS package is SAPKB64014.

O/S is Solaris 8.

Cheers....John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, try to check Note 868681 - Oracle Database 10g: Database Release Check

P.S. but your Basis are good, per this note ... Are your upgrade end's fine ? No one error? Are you

able to use brtools to run "check" database ?

Regards.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Sorry, I should add that this is an ECC 5.0 system with a 6.40 kernel.

If it's a kernel 640 or 640_EXT then the system uses the Oracle 9.2 client to connect to the database (you can check that also in the dev_w* traces).

> O/S is Solaris 8.

Since you're on Solaris 8 you can't use the EX2 kernel which use the Oracle 10g client library.

Are you aware that Solaris 8 is out of maintenance already?

Note 1174174 - Solaris: End of Support Dates

I recommend:

- upgrade your operating system to at least Solaris 9 or better Solaris 10

- install the 640_EX2 kernel (Note 1060539 - Installing EX2 Kernels on Oracle based SAP Systems)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your prompt replies and suggestions.

We have managed to find a solution to the problem.

FYI, I found messages in the workprocess trace files which said that V$INSTANCE could not be read and the creation timestamp couldn't be obtained from V$DATABASE.

The DBAs granted SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE to the OPS$ and SAPR3 users and that resolved the problem.

Markus: thanks for your comment about Solaris8. We are actually in the process of migrating our SAP systems to new Solaris10 servers, but our understanding is that we need to be on Oracle10 first.

Regards....John

jgleichmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello John,

normally the user should have enough priviliges. Please check if you or the person who have done the db upgrade executed the script sapconn_role.sql correctly (note 834917).

Best Regards,

Jens