cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ztta/roll_extension

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using R/3 640 kernel (ECC 5.0) on AIX 64 bit. I have seen that we can use the ztta/roll_extension more than 2GB, so i tried giving value as ztta/roll_extension = 4000000000 in the instance profile but when we check the instance profile before activating it is giving error as ztta/roll_extension value is more 2174000000, are you sure to use it .. If we continue activating it, will it be consider after restart or will still try to take 2174000000 ?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind S,

Just to add to what Federico said, the note #425207 (SAP memory management, current parameter ranges) lists technical limits for this parameter and others, warnings such as these are only due to internal database table of the system ranges but larger values are usable to the kernel. Therefore you can ignore warnings about parameter values and unknown parameters in general from RZ10 as long as you are following documentation or notes guidelines.

The note #789477 (Lots of Extended Memory on AIX (64-Bit) as of Kernel 6.20) recommends ztta/roll_extension of 2GB even though it is possible to increase it to current 4GB value or even higher.

You can always confirm used values of parameters via report RSPARAM also once instance was restarted with new value set in the profile. Setting ztta/roll_extension to 4GB may lead to total extended memory of the instance being exhausted faster and if exhausted then you may want to consider decreasing again.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for both of you in answering and clearing the dount. I executed rsparam and it is showing the new value whcih is greater than 2GB

I also gave em_initial_size_MB to 4.5gb which it took along with em/blocksize_KB which it complains in RZ10 but in other places and rsparam it took. If i go to os level and execute memlimits it is still mentioning like

R/3 parameter em/initial_size_MB up to 4096 permitted and

Total available swap space = 4096MB

em/initial_size_MB > 4096 MB will not work

eventhough the swap space in our system is 20GB which is also showing in st02 and st06 properly. Any idea why ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have more than 4GB of swap space try using "memlimits -l <lim>" where <lim> is the limit in megabyte how much swap space shall be tested. By default memlimits does not test more than 4096MB of swap space. Using the "-l" option this value can be extended.

Regards, Mark

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aranvid:

That means the parameter was successfully activated (If you saw the new values in ST06/ST02) so it is OK; then, you can ignore the error when you perform the check through RZ10.

Best Regards,

Federico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind:

This is only a message, if you activate the profile and then restart the instance the value will be read form the Instance Profile, so your new ztta/roll_extension = 4000000000 should be activated.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Federico G. Babelis

NetWeaver Certified Consultant

GAZUM Technologies S.A.

Consulting Services and Software Solutions

http://www.gazum.com

...download FREE Marketplace Manager at: http://www.gazum.com/products

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Federico,

Thanks for your reply. After activating also in RZ10 if you go and perform the check operation on the instance profile it still says as Error in RED mark, but if you go to st02 or st06 sort of thing, it shows the new value, so how to consider this ?

Thanks