cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPFILE and MSCS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm running oracle 9i on MSCS Windows 2003 Ent. I was reading about SAP notes on the migration of the pfile to the SPFILE. Though, I'm a bit curious on the migration instruction.

Can anyone help me to clarify this?

1. Do I need to change anything on the SID.WORLD resources on my oracle group. There is a paramfile which is having this value: D:\oracle\SID\920\database\initSID.ora

2. Do I need to run "create spfile from pfile;" again when I change the Oracle group to a different node, do I need to do the same?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In MSCS environment, you can create a logical link (using linked.exe or junction.exe) from D:\oracle\SID\920\database to \sapdata1\database\. Check out MSCS section of the standard installation doc for SAP on oracle on SMP.

1. Do I need to change anything on the SID.WORLD resources on my oracle group. There is a paramfile which is having this value: D:\oracle\SID\920\database\initSID.ora

--> If you create this symbolic link, the value of parameter file in group SID.WORLD will change from D:\oracle\SID\920\database\initSID.ora (local disk) to \sapdata1\database\initSID_OFS.ora (shared disk). The creation of initSID_OFS.ora is also explained in the standard Installation doc.

2. Do I need to run "create spfile from pfile;" again when I change the Oracle group to a different node, do I need to do the same?

--> Not necessary with the above concept as your spfile will now be located on the shared disk (\sapdata1\database).

Regards,

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the answer.

I don't see the instructions that you mentioned in the installation guides. Can I know which version of the guides that are you reffering to? or is it mentioned on the SAP notes. Though, I notice this conversion of the ORACLE_HOME to the sapdata1 during the Oracle 10 upgrade.

Can you please guide me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eida,

Yes, you can refer oracle 10g upgrade guide for Windows, section - 5.3 "MSCS Only: Setting Up a Shared Database-Directory in Oracle Home"

Alternatively, this procedure is also available in "High Availability with Microsoft Cluster Service" section of installation guides for all NW based products.

Eg. http:/service.sap.com/instguides --> SAP Netweaver --> SAP Netweaver 7.0 --> Installation --> SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 - Installation Guides

regards,

Kiran

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still got some related questions which are still unclear

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through SAP Note 601157 - Oracle9i: Server Parameter File