cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST03N Task Type "other"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am fairly new out of college into SAP Basis Administration. My boss has asked as to why some of the tasks in the workload monitor are taking so long, mainly the task type "other". The avg response time/diag step is ~85000 (ms), and ~83000 (ms) is spent in the database. All be it interesting that doesn't tell me much, because I have not a clue what "other" pertains to, and why its spending so much time in the database. Any help would be much appreciated.

SAP Login: 710

MS Windows SP 3

Any information needed, just let me know and I will be sure to provide it.

David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

My 2 cents on this. Usually, if a process spends too much time on the database, it would mean that one or more of the following is possible.

1. The process is trying to read a lot of data. In which case, you will need to analyze what the process is doing or trying to read. If it is a SAP program, some buffer tuning might be needed. If it is a custom program, the program might need to be tuned. There is more to it than this.

2. Network problem. I doubt if this is the problem especially if your entire database does not seem slow. In other words, a network problem would not be isolated to a certain tcodes/programs

3. Disk problem. If the process is trying to read data from a disk that is slower then this could result in degraded performance.

There is no real "one solution" to this. It will need some poking around.

As far as "Other" goes, do the following.

Highlight "Other" and hit F1. You will see documentation on each of those Task Types. "Other" is not defined, which leads me to believe that this could be something running on the database directly without SAP knowing about it ? Maybe, maybe not.

Check if there is a script or something running on the db. What is the time frame ? Check the transaction profile for that day/time and sort it according to high db times. Maybe that will lead you to something.

Kunal

Edited by: Kunal Belnekar on Jun 12, 2009 9:57 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

All information was helpful so far. My boss wants me to grab the workload and earlywatch data every week on one of our busier days, (Tuesday). So, on Tuesday I use ST03N to get the data. I scroll down to the bottom of the workload bar to total, drop that down, and pull Tuesdays data. In the workload overview the task type names are displayed like, ALE, AUTOABAP... And towards the bottom Other is one of the task type names.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check my earlier post. I edited part of it.

I see "Other" in my system as well, although there is only 1 step. Whats funny is, it shows up only on 1 day in the last 8 days. See if that helps you in any way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Kunal,

Sorry ended up getting busy last week. Anyway, Not too sure it is a network problem our network here is pretty solid. As far as disk or anything else, not exactly sure how to determine either of those at this point. I do know, however, that "other" shows up everyday in workload monitor. We have a very large SAP system here so, it seems that this area shows up everyday. And everyday it spends over 90% of its average response time/diag step in the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check that do you have network Packet Loss

Thanlks Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will have to be patient with me because I am very new at this. Anyhow, I ping'ed the production server that I am using the ST03N transaction on, and all data was received. Hope that helps, if not let me know if there is a transaction I can use, or a better method.

The ping I ran was 100 packets at standard size.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is fine .Can you check that the DATABASE staticts are updated on day basis.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes data is updated on a daily basis.