cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DB 7.3.0.35 and Database Manager 7.4.3.23 and MaxDB Studio 7.7.06.09

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm getting my butt kicked over here. I'm an Oracle guy by trade but I'm assisting with a migration of SAPDB, on Windows Server 2003, to MaxDB 7.6.xx on Solaris 10 SPARC.

I can connect to my SAP DB 7.3.0.35 using Database Manager 7.4.3.23 as superdba. But I don't seem to have the advanced Export/Import options (Export, Import, Transport) that I do in DB Studio 7.7.

I try to connect to SAP DB 7.3.0.35 using DB Studio 7.7 and it says invalid username/password. I know the password is correct, but I can't seem to connect using this newer version of DB Studio.

So I tried loadercli instead, with no luck

C:\sapdb\programs>loadercli -v

Version: 7.6.06.03

C:\sapdb\programs>loadercli -d sdb -u superdba,<password>

Loader protocol: 'C:\Documents and Settings\resys\My Documents\sdb\loader\log\loader.log'

Loader packages: 'C:\Documents and Settings\resys\My Documents\sdb\loader\packages'

Error connecting user SUPERDBA to database SDB on local host: -25005

User (SUPERDBA) logon to database SDB failed: SQL error -4008 = Unknown user name/password combination (error position: 1)

I've tried every combination of lowercase and capitalization I can think of for sdb, superdba, and the password.

First, are there any known incompatibilities between my old version of SAP DB and my newer version of MaxDB Database Studio that I've overlooked?

And second, I suppose I might be better served to upgrade from 7.3 to 7.7 on the DB before I work on the migration. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

2ND PART OF THE ANSWER

(due to the currently imposed limitations on formatting posts longer than 5000 chars...)

> Error connecting user SUPERDBA to database SDB on local host: -25005

> User (SUPERDBA) logon to database SDB failed: SQL error -4008 = Unknown user name/password combination (error position: 1)

Well, that's because the password IS wrong.

Before you think I'm a idiot remember (or learn?) that SUPERDBA is a special user that exists both as DBM-User (=Database Manager Users, the guys that do the DBA stuff like startup, shutdown, take backups etc.) as well as SQL-User (should be clear what this is).

So, while you can logon without issues as SUPERDBA via dbmcli (that's the DBM-User) you really do not seem to use the correct password for the SQL-User "SUPERDBA".

It just happens to be the case that I wrote a [blog|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/7595] on that topic ...

For more "differences between Oracle and MaxDB"-blogs simply search for "Mind the gap".

> And second, I suppose I might be better served to upgrade from 7.3 to 7.7 on the DB before I work on the migration. Thoughts?

Nope. You really can perform the migration from 7.3 to 7.6 or 7.7.

But you also really make sure that you install the current patches before.

In the SAP note I mentioned you'll find a step-by-step description on what you have to do for that migration.

It's really not too difficult, so you will succeed with that!

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars,

Your two posts have propelled my knowledge of SAPDB / MaxDB further than I got during my 2 weeks of googling, forum searching, and general banging my head against this problem!

It's interesting stuff... I'm enjoying learning a new DB and we have plenty of time so, fortunately for me, I have time to trip, fall, and get back up.

Now, since I obviously don't know the password as I thought I did, I need to find out how to change it to a new password. This is a development system that was stood up ~5 years ago and I'm just now wiping the dust off of it. I don't think there is anyone around here who would know what the existing password is. If I read your blog entry correctly...

Nowadays this is past - so a change of the password for e.g. CONTROL or SUPERDBA in one of the locations automatically updates the other.

I should be able to login as superdba, change his password and then be able to use it on either the DBA or SQL side of operations. However, is 7.3 too old for this to be true?

Thanks again, great posts.

Regards,

Rich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before you think I'm a idiot remember (or learn?) that SUPERDBA is a special user that exists both as DBM-User (=Database Manager Users, the guys that do the DBA stuff like startup, shutdown, take backups etc.) as well as SQL-User (should be clear what this is). So, while you can logon without issues as SUPERDBA via dbmcli (that's the DBM-User) you really do not seem to use the correct password for the SQL-User "SUPERDBA".

I have another learning question for you

From my local box, using SAP MaxDB Database Studio 7.7, I add the server to "My Landscape," I add a Database, then Login and use my superdba account and hit test and I receive this message:

Neither SQL nor DBM sessions are possible

If I'm reading this correctly then, as you've explained, I'm unable to login as superdba on either 'side'.

Ok, I go to the server and pop open a cmd prompt and try it via dbmcli:

dbmcli -d sdb -u superdba,<password>

And I get a Windows dialog box that says

This application has failed to start because SapNi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Be gentle, I'm new

Thanks again for your help Lars, and anyone else who is kind!

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

actually, the SUPERDBA user only has ONE valid password. Although he is able to perform admin tasks and to execute SQL statements, there are not two passwords for this user!

So if you are able to connect with that user with dbmcli and not with sqlcli or loadercli, there seems to be something wrong with your system/users. Maybe the user called SUPERDBA on your system is not really the SYSDBA but a 'normal' dbm user.

When you connect with that user with dbmcli, please execute the following commands:

sql_execute select user from dual

sql_execute select SYSDBA from dual

sql_execute select * from users

Can you also connect with user control with dbmcli? You might want to check the default password (control).

Regarding the ni.dll problem: If I understand that correctly, you installed Database Studio locally on your PC. Did you also install any othe MaxDB software on that server? When you try to use dbmcli to connect to a remote database, you'll have to specify the -n <hostname> option. Or did you get that dll error on the database server itself?

Database Studio cannot be used to administer databases of version 7.3. You'll have to use DBMGUI or dbmcli for that.

Best regards, Melanie

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

just a quick note ( as Melanie already approached the new issue): it may be a good idea to just post one question per thread.

Otherwise it tends to become quite difficult to follow the discussion of each question.

just my 2 pence...

regards,

Lars

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Rich,

when you are connected with DBMGUI to that database instance, you can also run the mentioned dbmcli commands in DBMGUI. Open menu 'Instance -> Command line' and enter the commands there...

Regards, Melanie

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

I'm running an upgrade/migration of Content Server on sapdb 7.3 (patched to latest level) windows 32bit to sapdb 7.6 (also patched to latest level) on AIX 64bit. When I'm trying to export the source DB as described in SAP Note 962019 using loadercli from the target system (AIX), I get the same message - loadercli would return me user/password incorrect. I have even created a new user called upgrade on the source DB and tried with that one but still it wouldn't work.

Can you please advise what could be the problem? What kind of rights does the new user has to / must not have? Thanks for any response in advance, I'm really stuck here.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm getting my butt kicked over here. I'm an Oracle guy by trade but I'm assisting with a migration of SAPDB, on Windows Server 2003, to MaxDB 7.6.xx on Solaris 10 SPARC.

Sorry to hear that.

Being forced to do things one actually does not know about is never a nice experience.

But let me guess: you want to copy/upgrade a SAP content server?

If this is the case, checkout this note [SAP Note 962019 System copy of MaxDB Content Server Storage|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_bc_db/~form/handler%7B5f4150503d3030323030363832353030303030303031393732265f4556454e543d444953504c4159265f4e4e554d3d393632303139%7D

]

> I can connect to my SAP DB 7.3.0.35 using Database Manager 7.4.3.23 as superdba. But I don't seem to have the advanced Export/Import options (Export, Import, Transport) that I do in DB Studio 7.7.

That's right.

The graphical loadercli-frontend was releases as part of the DB Studio and was not available earlier.

Apart from that: the database versions you're using are acient.

Before doing anything else, it's HIGHLY recommended to install the current patches for these old releases.

That would be SAP DB 7.3.0 Build 62 (available in the SAP Service Marketplace) and the DBMGUI 7.6 (you can download that in SMP as well or here in SDN in the Downloads section).

END OF PART ONE OF THE ANSWER