cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM first or ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello MDMers,

My client is looking to implement SAP ECC first time and also want to implement SAP MDM for 2 objects. I guess it is good idea to implement MDM first, get your data clean and the load clean data in to ECC. According to your experiece what would be the best way to go? and why? Is it better to implement MDM before ECC? what are the advantages and the impact?

Your inputs are valuable

Thanks

Shaikil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Definitely MDM first. I have been involved in major implementation projects and used the same approach with successful implementation.

But it also depends on which track you want to implement and the customer's current ERP processes.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaikil,

Always you need to implement the ECC first and then MDM.

Consider that you have implemented MDM first, you have the master data what about the

transactional data. Where will you create/store it.

MDM is for Master data Not for transactional/characteristic data.

hope you got some idea.

Thanks

Rupesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shakil,

As rightly pointed out above, you should go with MDM inolemntation first and then move onto ECC. We have followed this approach in multiple projects and successfully implemented.

Regards,

Arafat

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice Thread..

I think, it totally depends upon what Data Masters you are going to implement in your MDM landscape and what business process you are going to support.

For Example, The SAP MDM Product content is meant for the generic MDM scenarios u201CConsolidationu201D and u201CHarmonizationu201D only.You cannot use this content for a central maintenance of product data. (if you want to do this then you contact SAP) [-- as mentioned in SAP note # 1252846]. So in this case better to implement other SAP systems first. if you are planning to use CMDM scenario than you can go with MDM implementation first.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Arafat,

Thanks for your reply.

Will you be able to share sample documents such as Process you followed to implement with this approach? Could you please atelast share the major advantages or disadvantages you experienced in implementing MDM before ECC?

My client is going to implement ECC first and I have been putting up a presentations to save them from their mistakes.

It will be great help.

Thanks

Shaikil

Former Member
0 Kudos

It makes sense to implement ECC first, configure all the meta data/configuration data for the entire organization over there and then bring in the needed/relevant configuration data objects into MDM , like plant data, disrtibution channels etc and then use MDM to cleanse/deduplicate actual data ( eg: Customers) and load it & send it to ECC once the necessary infrastructure is in place.

-Sudhir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For fresh SAP implementation, the ideal way is to use MDM as the System of records (ie., MDM to store master data and then distribute the data to other SAP/non SAP systems).

You can do this work(for your 2 objects) in parallel ie MDM and ECC implementation together.By doing this way, implementation cost and time involved is greatly reduced as it avoids rework.The key to this kind of implementation is that the project preparation should be very good as every activity is dependent on others.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaikil,

It Primarily depends on the existing Business Process.

If your customer is already on the SAP platform or is even using the SAP ERP for any of its exsiting data.then in that case you will have to take care of the existing load as well.

If its using SAP ERP newly and directly then you can use MDM as the system of data to store and manage all your master data effectively and then syndicate to ECC for final save and use in palnts.

If the customer is having some existing master data in it SAP ERP system like 4.7 etc then you will have to go for an one time data load in to MDM with cleansing.

So in any which case you need to set up your MDM system first and then according to your business process handle the master data flow into and out of MDM.

Hope it Helps

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto