cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting a Web Dynpro Application at server startup

tom_cole3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Is there a setting somewhere that can trigger a web dynpro application to start at server startup, rather than waiting for the first time the application is accessed?

I have a process in the controller of one of my Web Dynpro applications that I would like to start automatically anytime the portal server is rebooted, rather than requiring the user to load the screen to start it.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont know how to make one WD Application to start by itself during the server startup as a servlet.

But you can do as below:

Integrate your WD Application as ivew in the portal. And assign this ivew to desktop innerpage. This desktop innerpage will be loaded first time when user loggs into the portal and this is not visible to the user. So your application will be executed internally.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Charan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The application startup mode has to be changed as Always in application-j2ee-engine.xml for J2EE apps.

But not sure where we do this for webdynpros.you can search on the same.

Here is the link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/25/0c08f3981343609d4045f8acaa0a76/content.htm

Hope it helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

application-j2ee-engine.xml for webdynpro is at this path of your DC comp\genwdp

Try changing as per the above post.

Please note that I have not tested the same

Edited by: Santhosh Edla on Jun 11, 2009 4:59 PM

tom_cole3
Explorer
0 Kudos

This did the trick. Oddly enough when I opened the application-j2ee-engine.xml file in NWDS, it would only let me view the source. Clicking any other tab displayed an error saying:

"The source page has errors. Other pages cannot be used until these erros

are corrected."

So I had to change the source manually. Looking up the DTD shows that the <start-up> tag is the last element allowed and has an empty body. So I added:

<start-up mode="always"/>

just before the closing </application-j2ee-engine> tag.

I deployed the application and it did start immediately. I haven't rebooted the server, but suspect that it will function properly.

Thanks for your assistance.

tom_cole3
Explorer
0 Kudos

An additional note, apparently whatever it is that causes this error screen to appear, also causes the changes to this file to be lost each time I create a new archive.

Any ideas on why I would get this error message on an XML file generated by the IDE?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It looks like Webdynpro plugins do not provide a feature for updating application-j2ee-engine.xml.

In J2EE perspective this can be changed,but then it is only for J2EE applications

I tried to open application-j2ee-engine.xml in WD prespective i get the same error. But the I am able to open xml file of a J2EE app

Check this thread

Answers (0)