Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Planning and Setup Matrix in PPDS optimizer

sarvesh_rathore
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Has anybody worked with Block Planning and Setup Matrix in PPDS optimizer. We have a situation with us in which we are doing block planning. After converting the SNP orders to PPDS orders we are running PPDS optimizer in order to get the optimized sequence of orders so that the setup time should be minimum.

What optimizer is doing:

1. It is first finding the optimized sequence irrespective of the block.

2. Then it is putting these orders in the blocks in the same optimized sequence.

This is creating a problem as this is creating gaps in the blocks.

eg:

Products: P1 ,P2 =Green; P3,P4: Yellow

Blocks: Green1 -> Yellow1 -> Green2 -> Yellow2

Optimized sequence: P1-> P3 -> P4 ->P2

Orders put into Blocks now: Green1 (P1) -> Yellow1 (P3,P4) -> Green2 (P2) -> Yellow2

This is proper according to the optimized sequence, but the issue is I have plenty of space left in Green1 Block where the P2 could have come in.

How can I do it.

Is there any way I can restrict the optimizer to find an optimized sequence within the blocks instead of first finding the optimized sequence and then putting it in the blocks.

Can I select certain products in the DS board and run optimizer for this or is it that it will run for the resource only.

Thanx!

Sarvesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes you can do selected product and resource for optimisation in DS board.

And regarding block planning with ppds , first find the blocks to fit the order then it search for setup matrix.

but one thing i am not clear that how does it help to make a block on resource and setup matrix.

since making a block , we are defining in system that we want to optimise the order in that block (duration).

if you do not use block planning then setup matrix will help you in optimisation.

Since if you look into the concept of block then you yourself find that it puts the order according to block.

If you need any further help please write back .

sarvesh_rathore
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanx for the reply..

1. As you said I can run optimizer for some selected products in a resource and not all products on the resource. Where can I do it. I am trying and its saying that it is possible only for the whole resource for all the products. Please point me out where this is possible.

2. I didn't understood the first point that you are making. Can you please elaborate on that. Are you saying that using sequence dependent setup (setup matrix) in a block and then optimizing it is not a gud idea.

There are two constraints that optimizer is required to have. First is to find the optimized solution (minimum total setup time) and second is within blocks. These constraints are being honored by optimizer in this sequence only whereas my requirement is first orders should be scheduled finitely within blocks and then optmization should happen within blocks instead of the other way round.

Any thoughts...

Former Member
0 Kudos

You want to optimise the selected product on selected resource then during optimisation system will not move anything which is not display and optimise accordingly.

But if you want to saya that in initial screen of ds board you are selecting resource and product using planner , but you want to optimise the selected resources and all product on that resource you can do this in ds board profile .

Yes using block with setup is not a good idea.

but if you want that inside a block where two characterstics are flowing and on those two characterstics if you want to use setup optimisation then it is useful.Because block is consider as hard constrain and setup is soft constrained, so it first put this on block then puts on setup (if any).

And one more thing during optimisation system is not doing any kind of planning , it only optimised using given criteria.

So you will not get the desired solution.

hope this clears your doubt, in case still any query please revert.