cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need a broker like XI / PI to use a webservice?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In out ECC5 IDES system, we generated a webservice from a BAPI. ( As we do not have the J2ee add on , we can not test this with in our ecc5 system itself).

Now to use this from a third party app, what are the requirements?

Do I need to use XI / PI as a broker in between?

My thinking is - do the config in wsadmin (the old SOAMANAGER) and provide the url (host: port) etc details and the thrird party app (like SIEBEL) should pick it up..

Please provide me with some pointers.

[

I serched sdn but got a couple of blogs or threads pointing to XI etc..

So thought of getting a better idea on how to use this webservice..

]

Thanks,

Ven

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Since you generated web service from BAPI, it should be a synchronous service. This can be consumed from consuming system without any middle-ware (PI, TIBCO etc.) if the mapping or conversion of data is handled by consuming system. You need to setup end points using SOAMANAGER and provide the WSDL to consuming system.

But asynchronous webservice needs middle-ware to route the message and to ensure quality of service and sequencing.

Thanks,

Venu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You are right for synchronus communication you can do it directly via SOAMANAGER.

Because in synchronus communication your recieving partner is present just in case if he has to re-send the message.

But in case of asynchronus communication, this is not the case.

Consider a case where you send a PO to your SIEBEL system via direct set up without XI, PI. Let us assume that the message didnt reach the destiantion as the SIEBEL system was down due to maintenance.

In this case a re-concillation message cannot be requested as the SIEBEL system is not aware of incoming message.

This is a case of asynchronus communication, it is here the PI and XI play an importnat role. Your messages get qued up and proceed systematically.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Naveen