cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting and Stopping an SAP System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

what is the procedure to start and stop and SAP system. Sounds to be a very simple question but i would like to know the concepts of shared memory cleaning and stuff

I am working on a windows OS

Does the SAP MMC start and stop enough ? dont i need to go and stop the processes or clear any shared memory ?

Rgds

Aditya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I know, if we restart Windows OS, all the memory related issues will go away and need not any extra efforts.

Regards,

Faisal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

But if it is PRD system, then it's not possible to reboot frequently.

If anyone knows the way to clear the shared memory other than rebooting,Please help him.

Thanks

Raj

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes! you are right gentleman.

Even I would appreciate if anybody can provide us with some other techniques to refresh the memory!

Regards,

Fasial

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

On unix , once you stop the SAP system the processes should release the shared memory.

We run cleanipc inorder to ensure that process release the shared memory they are using.

Also, sometimes during the startup on unix you may get the shared memory error.

In such cases, you can run the command ipcs -m to find the shared memory segments which are still held by that particulat SIDADM user and kill them using ipcrm -m <shmid>.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,Prasanna

Edited by: Prasanna K on Jun 11, 2009 8:42 AM

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wel thanks all, for your valuable inputs

the shared memory is porpably cleaned when you restart the server or when the jcontrol is restarted in windows

Rgds

Aditya

Former Member
0 Kudos

For windows platform try saposcol -c as mentioned in the link below.

[http://www.easymarketplace.de/saposcol.php]

Hope this helps.

former_member256962
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Nothing is required as such.Just stop through mmc and restart service SAPOscol and SAPSID_<>,which clears everthing that were kept on hold by executables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adithya,

You can stop and start SAP in MMC itself. As Siva mentioned You can clear the Shared memory in Unix using the cmd.

But in Windows OS, you may need to reboot the server itself to get ride of semaphore issue nothing but clearing the shared memory.

Thanks

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Aditya,

I am not sure about Windows, but in linux there is a command "cleanipc all".

If you try it in command prompt and see, before running this command stop sap and all services.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Siv