Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Kernel update on different Operating System

former_member222931
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need some advice and feedback. My SAP is running on different OS platforms. CI/DB is on UNIX. Application servers are on Windows.

Previous basis consultant did not manage to update this system kernel. They had to revert back to the original kernel (lower version). The new kernel was not reflected in SM51 even after system is up and running.

Has anybody patch kernel on system with different platforms before? Any tips that I should take note? Any risk that I should forsee?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need patch separately you Ci and othe APP servers -->

/people/storm.archer/blog/2006/10/03/sap-netweaver-7x-kernel-updates-explained-part-ii

P.S. good note for you also

Note 680617 - INST: Appl.Server in Heterogeneous SAP System Environment

Regards.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In heterogeneous environments /sapmnt/<sid>/exe is not mounted across the landscape so basically you need to upgrade the CI with the Unix kernel and the DI with the windows kernel manually (kernel should be the same release).

The new kernel was not reflected in SM51

which one? the CI or the DI's?... usually the kernel in Unix should be copied into sapmnt/<sid>/exe (sapcpe will distribute the executables), while on windows you copy the new kernel into \usr\sap\<sid>\sys\exe (again sapcpe distribute them to the required locations). If you copy the kernel into wrong locations sapcpe won't distribute them and the system will take the old kernel which will show in SM51

This is a fairly basic and easy operation. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards

Juan

former_member222931
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

From SM51, the apps server which is running on Windows shows the old kernel values.

Anyway my problem is resolved.. SAP Note 680617 helps a lot. Thanks Sergo Beradze!!

Rgds,

Edited by: shafinaz syed on Jun 15, 2009 10:54 AM