cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referencial Lookup in Mapping: JCo or JDBC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - We are going to have a referencial lookup within a mapping.

The lookup can either be done to a custom table on the SAP PI DB (via Jco) or to an external DB using JDBC Adapter.

Which of these options seems to be better from a performance perspective? Any experiences?

Thanks for sharing.

Mathias.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Everyone - We are going to have a referencial lookup within a mapping.

>

> The lookup can either be done to a custom table on the SAP PI DB (via Jco) or to an external DB using JDBC Adapter.

>

> Which of these options seems to be better from a performance perspective? Any experiences?

>

> Thanks for sharing.

>

> Mathias.

JCo calls were replaced by the lookup API.

So ideally on a performance basis my support will be for a custom table on the SAP PI DB (via JDBC adapter)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijayakumar - Could you expand around your statement "JCo calls were replaced by the lookup API." please? I think I missed that one.

Also, we wont not only to make a lookup, but also write into the tables. I guess that requires a JDBC usage?

Thanks. Mathias

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure when Vijay suggested to create a custom table on the SAP PI DB (via JDBC adapter)...

May be he meant SAP PI Tables (RFClookup via API).. I will leave to him to confirm.

Even if you want to write into the tables, the RFC will have the required Insert/Update statements. Hence it should not be a problem.

B/n JCO & lookup API for RFC, I would prefer using JCO over lookup-API, b'cos the output of the RFC-API is in XML & it needs to be parsed. If it is a simple RFC structure, its easy to parse but when the RFc structure is complex parsing might be complex & will endup using DOM parser extensively... On the other hand, It is easy to use JCO as it is easy to access the structures directly..

But SAP recommends to use lookupAPI for RFC lookup's b'cos it will provide better monitoring facility .

DB lookup's using API

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

RFC lookups with API

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/xi/xi-code-samples...

-SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva - Thanks for the insight and links. At this moment in time we wont be able to decide unfortunately. I'll keep you posted. Mathias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep. It will be good for SDN searchers.

Keep us posted

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Depends. Below are the few points that you can consider before making a decision.

1) If the Referencial lookup data is Business related, you need to have GUI Screens for Business to maintain them. Analyze the complexity for developing such screens. I know it is easy to build GUI using Table maintainance generator in SAP based system. Also Authoriztion & security issues related with GUI. Also consider if such tables need to be created & maintained in ECC or PI.?

2) What if the DB is unavailble (b'cos of some reason.?) or there is a network glitch.

3) Additional ongoing maintainance for the upgrading to newer version of the DB's released.

4) If ABAP mapping is being used, you can update/refer these tables directly (if maintained in PI).

I would prefer SAP based Tables (with JCO)- Either ECC or PI, but it depends on your landsacpe.

- SM