cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Kernel Sap 7.00

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus,

for the first time I have to upgrade the kernel on my system, someone will take a step by step how to update, you download from the Market place, my operating system is Windows 2003 with SQL Server 2005.

Thanks and regards.

GG

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo,

1. Download the latest SAP kernel from Service Market Place and place into a temporary directory i.e. save *.sar files in to temp directory. ( Refer to SAP Note: 19466 )

2. Uncar *.sar files using sapcar utility i.e. sapcar u2013xvf *.sar to the temp directory.

3. Stop SAP and SAP related services.

4. Take a backup of the old kernel ( if there are any issues you can revert back the old kernel again )

Go to <Installation Drive>/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe

Take a backup of the run folder.

5. Now copy the files in the run directory which you have uncarred in the temp directory to <Installation Drive>/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run ( it will ask for a replace of files Click Yes )

6. Start SAP.

7. Check the Kernel Patch Level.

Regards,

Anil Kumar CH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo,

login as <SID>adm

stopsap

ps -eaf | grep sap

saposcol -k

kill -9 pid

pwd

/usr/sap/<SID>

cd /sapmnt/DEV/exe

cp -R * /usr/sap/<SID>/<FOLDER NAME>

pwd

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe

cp sapcar sapcar_old2

pwd /sapmnt/<SID>/exe

sapcar_old2 -xvf /usr/sap/<SID>/kernel175/sapexe...sar

sapcar_old2 -xvf /usr/sap/<SID>/kernel175/sapexedb...sar

disp+work

startsap

logonpad

sgen

first option

select all

continue

start immediate

Hope it helps

Cheers

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deepanshu,

Do you realise that this is the Windows forum and that the Original poster told us that he uses Windows 2003 ?

Answering with Unix shell commands is kind of strange !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gustavo,

Kernel:-The kernel is the central component of the database system. The kernel manages access to the permanently stored data in a database instance and processes the SQL statements; for liveCache database instances, it processes the OMS procedures.

To start a database instance, the kernel of the database system is started for the specific database name. While the database is running, the kernel includes several different operating system threads.

The database system is delivered with several different kernel variants.

The kernel is platform dependent.In kernel upgrade there are two set of files one is DB independent (DW,ENQ, ENS, SAPOSCOL etc ) & another one is DB specific both are platform dependent.

Read below thread to check how to upgrade kernel patches.

/people/storm.archer/blog/2006/10/02/sap-netweaver-7x-kernel-updates-explained-part-i

/people/storm.archer/blog/2006/10/03/sap-netweaver-7x-kernel-updates-explained-part-ii

You can upgrade your kernel patch level by using JSPM as well. See below link for details

http://itedu24.net/solman/5.8%20Applying%20the%20Latest%20Kernel%20and%20Support%20Packages.doc

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please have a look on the SAP note "19466" and the below forum

With Regards,

Saurabh