Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save 4 versions of a file in the application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to write a program which will extract few data from SAP and write it in a file in the SAP application server. This program will be run once every month.

I need to save 4 versions of the files, current and 3 prior. These versions should cycle off the oldest once a new version has been created.

Could anyone help me how to do this?

Thank you!

Regards,

Sunitha.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunitha,

The best way is to write a unix script in the unix server to do the job for you. Once The file is written in the server then leave the job from the unix side to get this done.

This is the best option i think. Writing a script is not a big task. You can call the script from ABAP or from an external daemon in the unix server. We have many such programs in our org.

Hope this helps

Cheers

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to do through ABAP programming itself? In my case I cannot go for a unix script.

Thanks you.

Sunitha.

0 Kudos

Hi Sunitha,

I think it can be done by ABAP but its going to be complex for you to write as well as difficult for future maintenance.

You will have to call complex FM to delete or archive the files on the server from within the ABAP. I would really not suggest to do that from ABAP.

Cheers

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can download the SAP data in to the application server using the Timestamp.....