cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicating oracle database used with SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello masters,

i would like to know can i replicate database used with SAP with oracle data guard or standby database? and if yes then do i need to take care of some extra activity on SAP level or i can follow standard procedure mentioned by oracle to use standby database?

actually i found on this link that u can replicate database using standby database, but do i need to use database guard or can i use data guard?/

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45b/helpdata/de/08/57445d4ae611d1894f0000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

thanks and regards

VD

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Following are the broad steps to configure Oracle Data Guard for a Standby Database:

Step 1 - Prepare the Primary for Standby

Step 2 - Copy the necessary files to standby system

Step 3 - Configure the Standby Parameters

Step 4 - Configure OracleNet

Step 5 - Startup the Standby Site

Step 6 - Begin Shipping and Applying Redo

Check the following metalink notes which provide a step by step guide regarding how to create a Standby Database:

469493.1 (Step By Step Guide To Create Physical Standby Database Using RMAN)

149286.1 (How To Create a Standby Database)

regards,

Subhajit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi shubhajit,

thanks for your reply, but i just wanna know is there modification need in SAP system if i create standby database?????

i think it is not required as i am replicating data on database level....am i right???

do i need to use any SAP tool ????? or just i can follow oracle docs for creating standby database??

Check the following metalink notes which provide a step by step guide regarding how to create a Standby Database:

469493.1 (Step By Step Guide To Create Physical Standby Database Using RMAN)
149286.1 (How To Create a Standby Database)

i have checked these docs, but would like to know SAP tool usages while creating standby database

thanks and regards

VD

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi VD,

to build up a stand-by database with SAP on Oracle you can either use Dataguard or employ BRARCHIVE to do the logshipping/applying for you.

Concerning your link: this must be the most ancient version of the documentation you possibly can find on the net...

How about something more current?

[Standby Database |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/37/50d1d05c901345a42cab116a14bb54/content.htm]

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi lars,

thanks for your reply, but would like to know something more...

do i need to take care of something else while replicating database of SAP using data guard or standby database?? means other than using BRARCHIVE ???

and do you have any link which will specify step-by-step procedure to replicate SAP oracle database using standby or data guard???

coz as far as i know some more steps required to create oracle standby database which are not mentioned here in link provided by you...

so please let me know if you have any link..

thanks and regards

VD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

See link for dataguard

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi surendra,

very nice link, but it is not mentioned anywhere how and when to use BRARCHIVE while creating stanby database???

actually i am not much aware of SAP but i hav created standby database with oracle production servers so don't want to risk my data that's why looking for step-by-step doc to create standby database of SAP oracle database....

anywaya thanks for your kind support if you have any link please let me know..

thanks and regards

VD

Edited by: vikrantdixit on Jun 11, 2009 8:01 AM