cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Transport Directory Migration

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

Our ERP 6.0 system is running on Windows 2003 Server 64 bit. The default install created a separate transport directory on each CI host. As a result users do not have log information of their transports into the PROD system, from the DEV or QAS systems. Currently they have to log into each instance to get their transport log information from the transport organizer.

I have read the online help and reviewed the SAP Notes on creating a common directory however I have not found any solid information to assist migrating/merging an already existing TMS setup. .

I have created the following check list in preparation to merge the separate transport directories into a common transport directory. Is there anything I missed?

1. Schedule maintenance to ensure Business analysts/Developers are out of all ERP systems.

2. Backup the entire \usr\sap\trans directories on DEV, QAS and PROD before beginning.

3. Update the TMS Domain Profiles for each respected system with the common directory path of the Transport Domain Controller. In our case it is the Dev server.

DIR_TRANS = \\hostname\sapmnt\trans 

4. Merge the following QAS directories into the respected DEV directories (Confirm to overwrite existing files)

\usr\sap\trans\cofiles
\usr\sap\trans\data
\usr\sap\trans\logs 

5.Repeat with the PROD directories into the respected DEV directories (Confirm to overwrite existing files)

\usr\sap\trans\cofiles
\usr\sap\trans\data
\usr\sap\trans\logs 

Te goal is to insure that the delta changes between PROD, QAs & DEV are fully merged.

Common Transport directory

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/EN/de/6b0da5f34d11d3a6510000e835363f/frameset.htm]

Thanks,

Jon Sells

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

The theory did not work. We still have to log into QAS to see those log and PRD to view those logs. Decision should have been made at install. Will live with the issue.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

You may also want to consider your /usr/sap/trans/buffer directory. As this directory will contain the list of transports that currently reside in your system queue.

Regards,

Siddhesh

jonathon_sells3
Participant
0 Kudos

We tried to implement this migration of the common transport directories and it was not successful. We ended up restoring back to the individual EPS directories.

What happened is that the QAS Queues did not reflect all the correct transports. (Yes, Siddhesh, I did as you said) In addition the add to buffer (crooked arrow) not longer functioned for newly released transports from DEV.

Does anyone have a white paper or SAP Note that would help on Migrating a common Tranpsort directory for Windows? Our Developers & Analyst do not like having to logon to each system to see view the transport logs. They are under the impression that they shoul be able to use SE10 in DEV and see the transport/import logs.

Thank you

Jon Sells

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

You may follow note 62739.

If you have not configured a DNS, set SAPTRANSHOST to point to the central host in the local file hosts of your systems.

Regards,

Debasis.