Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re creation of database index

Former Member
0 Kudos

suppose while updation of database, some of the index are not re created at the database level.. some bug in the backend(oracle) i guess..

can we diagnose this thrugh ABAP, i mean can we check if any index has not been recreated in database table update, and can we recreate this through ABAP program.

regards

Alok Pathak

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

If the index is not created correctly then you will need to recreate them using se11 and regenrate the data base table in SAP.

I dont think we can do this using ABAP

Regds

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can re-create index using SE11 ( delete the index and create again) else go to SE14 utility which also gives you option to create index for table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

in order to check what has happened during the creation of an index, you may check SE11 > Goto > Indexes > Utilities > Activation log

I hope it helps. BR,

Alvaro

0 Kudos

As we know creation and deletion of index is a DDL (data definition) method .. but through open SQL we do only DML (data manipulation)

yes Indices can be handled in SE11, SE14 but what i my requirement is , can this be done through ABAP program, so that i can schedule this to run over a specified time interval.

Regards

Alok Pathak

0 Kudos

Well, you may use FM DB_CREATE_INDEX or DD_CREATE_INDEX, although I have never used them.

BR,

Alvaro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

When you Generate a Database table you have to give the name of a Function group.

In that Function group some standard code is written after you have generated the table maintenance.

You can edit this code in the places required. You can do validations or disallow some updations.

To go to the code

SE11 --> enter table name

Main menu --> utilities --> Table Maintenance Generator.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Sameena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alok,

U can give thought to the following....

1. If u get SQL stmt for oracle for creating the index u can then use native SQL in ABAP to generate the index..

2. U can write script at DB level and then us external command to execute the same.