Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for Migration Key

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am just performing a hetrogenous System copy just for testing. It is just OS migration from Linux to Windows. It is asling for Migration Key. But my question is do we need to pay anything to SAP for the migration key or do we need to take anykind of licenses for migration key, as i have tried to search the information and even in FAQ it is not available. Please suggese if you have any idea.

Regards,

Subhash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to say that "For a hetrogenous migration one need a Migration Key, which will given by SAP once after registration.Without this key it is not possible to proceed with the upgrade". Which is also mentioned in the below link

Thanks

Sushil

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus and Sushil.

I was aware all that information which is related to OS/DB mighration. I have read that, but i was not sure that do we need any license or something like that. In my case i was just trying to make a copy of a test server to explore the possibility which is available in SAP on technical point of view so i will try to explore these things as per the Hetrogenous System guide available or a little bit help of you guys.

So thanks a lot for your valuable answer.

Regards,

Subhash

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In my case i was just trying to make a copy of a test server to explore the possibility which is available in SAP on technical point of view so i will try to explore these things as per the Hetrogenous System guide available or a little bit help of you guys.

Good luck!

Make sure you always use the latest migration tools (R3load, R3ldct, R3szchk, libdb<DB>slib.so) for the migrations.

There's a special forum for migrations:

Markus

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

Have you got any documents for the OS migration from Linux to Windows? Have you proceeded further? Please let me know. Iam also trying the same thing. Iam not able to get a clear picture or documents. Any help will be appreciable.

Bye

R. Balaji

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes I have done that Os migration. I have followed the Standard guide and build the Export on source system and received the migration key from SAP, then i start the installation manster on Target system and ruring import it asks fro the migration key and i have entered that key and system installed succesfully after that.

Regards,

Subhash

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes I have done that Os migration. I have followed the Standard guide and build the Export on source system and received the migration key from SAP, then i start the installation manster on Target system and ruring import it asks fro the migration key and i have entered that key and system installed succesfully after that.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

If you don't mind could you share the kind of testing done from SAP functional side during the migration and your recommendation in view of testing?

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I told the business to validate the data integrity of the system from functional prospective, whatever they were using on a test system to check if there is any issue or not, apart from i dont remember anything else.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Subhash,

Just to add, you dont need pay anything to SAP for the migration key or no need to take anykind of licenses for migration key. SAP recommends to perform migration only by a certified OS-DB migration consultant ( Cource TADM70).This is because at one step it ask migration key, where you need to give that perticular key.

See Note 317096 - Migration Key Generation for ABAP Systems

Thanks,

Sushil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> This is because at one step it ask migration key, where you need to give that perticular key.

I wouldn't say it like this.

The FAQ says:

You want to migrate a system without involving a certified consultant, then you do this on your own risk. Any support for the migration and for problems that result from the migration will be billed as consulting. This applies also for non-production systems. You are obliged to let a certified consultant perform the migration.

Migrations imply a high knowledge of the underlying operating system and especially the database(s) involved. Usually the default parameters in the copy guides are not optimal and hence an experiences consultant should be taken into account, especially if the knowledge for the target database is not as high. I can just highly recommend doing that to avoid any serious business impact.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can generate the migration keys at

http://service.sap.com/migrationkey

No need to pay anything but:

A heterogeneous migration (if DB or OS or both are changed) must be done by a certified migration consultant on-site - means, you have to buy a consultant. Otherwise you will loose support for the target system and for problems during the migration.

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

Markus