cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info about the parameter _FIX_CONTROL in a BW environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have done some research about the parameter FIXCONTROL and went through the SAP note 1165319.

We have a task at hand where SAP has recommended a new value to be added to this parameter in a BW production environment.

Now in the above note there are an entire set of values which this parameter can take up.

I have understood to some extent that this has to do with this Fixes if case of any issues.

last month we have upgraded the oracle version of the database from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4.

Can anyone help me in understanding what this MergeFix is all about?

I need to better understand this concept.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hari Kishan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if I understood what your problem is, but let me try an answer:

Since the release of Oracle 10.2.0.4 a lot of of bugs or unwanted features have been detected, and Oracle released so called interim patches for these. Some of these interim patches are about Oracle optimizer, and it might be that one patch will remove the effect of another patch. Optimizing isn't an easy task.

Therefore a collective patch has been released that shall address and fix a lot of these single topics. And this is called an optimizer merge fix.

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe Bo,

Thanks for the explaination. One last question.

While doing the upgrade from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4, we have applied 33 interim Patches including the Generic patch.

Now i have been able to find the patch file for my below issue.

The question: How to we identify which interim patches to apply to avoid

Is this list specific to each customer ?

Now i am working to resolve this issue means that i could not predict earlier that this issue might occur?

To avoid any such kind of serious issues in the future, what should i do?

Will a chat with BW consultants help?

Thank you.

Regards,

Hari Kishan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

still not sure if I fully understood your question; but the recommended approach regarding patches is:

1) Apply all the interim patches recommended by SAP. For Oracle 10.2.0.4 these will those from SAP note 1137346. The merge fix from SAP note also 1165319 is mentioneded there.

And by the way, SAP note 1137346 is updated about once a month; new patches may be added, old ones may be removed. SAP recommends to follow accordingly; but if there aren't any problems, you might want to you keep your current state for a longer period.

2) Read all the SAP notes mentioned there. You may have to do additional tasks like setting Oracle parameters, FIXCONTROL or others. The value you have to set now may or may not be mentioned in one of these notes, I can't know.

3) If you encounter some problem, first search in SAP notes, or if necessary open a support call with SAP. You may then have to apply additional patches and set addtional values for FIXCONTROL.

And yes, this way the list of required patches may become specific to each customer, as customer requirements are specific.

But it would be difficult to find the exact list of needed patches in advance.

I think a BW consultant who is familiar with Oracle installations will tell you something similar. One who is very experienced in your scenario might also be able to recommend additional patches in advance.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a Ton , Joe Bo.

Wonderfully Explained.

Cheers,

Hari Kishan.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'd like to add a little information.

The note 1137346 contains all required patches for SAP (does not matter if it is BW or EP ...)

Of course, some patches may not apply to your current installation, for example specific platform patches or errors after LOB conversion if you have not done so.

But there are two kind of patches that I consider "critical"

1st, the mentioned optimizer merge fix (also in sap note 1165319) This patch addresses performance issues. I consider it should be tested as soon as it is released.

2nd. HOTNEWS. These patches address bugs that can cause inconsistencies or corruptions in your system. That should be avoided at all costs.

Joe Bo already mentioned that Oracle/SAP has changed the method of releasing patches. Now there is a "patch day" (usually the 10th of each month) when the patches are updated.

The note should be monitor around those dates and check the changes.

Also mentioned that, with some patches also new parameter recommendations can change, so it is important to monitor also that note.

The parameter FIXCONTROL activates/deactivates bugfixes related to the cost base optimizer. Note 1289199 has a description of most parameters.

If you want to know the correct values, then you must check the note 830576. Those are the values required by SAP. follow the instructions there,

Monitor Notes is easy. You can follow the indications of the following blog:

[A useful hint on notes|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/6390] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Answers (0)