Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaboration room role

stephen_spalding
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We're currently in the process of upgrading our portal to NW 04. I'm working on the collaboration rooms, and I have a question about how the 'collaboration' role is assigned to users.

In EP 5, a user accessed the collaboration rooms that he/she was assigned by using the 'Rooms' role. The user did not get the 'Rooms' role until he/she was invited to his/her first collaboration room. No administrator had to give the user access to the role.

In NW 04, it appears that the opposite is true. For the user to access his/her collaboration rooms, he/she uses the 'Collaboration' role. This role must be assigned to the user by a portal administrator. Even if the user is invited to a collaboration room, he/she cannot access the room until he/she is assigned the 'Collaboration' role.

Is my understanding of this correct? If so, is there any way to make the assignment of the 'Collaboration' role work in NW 04 like it did in EP 5?

Thanks!

-Stephen Spalding

Web Developer

Graybar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen -

In order for a user to navigate to the room directory, they do indeed need to have the Collaboration role. In our portal (NW04 SPS14), I've seen users who are able to follow the collaboration room link in the member invitation e-mail, even if they don't have the Collaboration role, but they had problems when they tried to actually post documents in the room until they were assigned the role.

If you are wanting users to have the Collaboration role automatically, you could assign the role to the Everyone group, or you could add a workset with the iViews you desire (Room Directory, My Rooms, etc.) to a role that users already have, etc. There would be a few ways to get around the chore of assigning the Collaboration role individually to everyone who needs it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Fallon

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stephen_spalding
Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that Fallon here best understood my question and gave me the answer that I was looking for. Thanks for all of the replies.

-StephenS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

As Subrato says, there is a difference in how rooms behave. In restricted and private rooms the user needs to be assigned to the room group, but as for public rooms you get the functinallity you are asking for.

In other word - create your rooms as public rooms.

You decide what kind of access to the rooms you want when you create them. To my knowlegde you cannot change this on exiting rooms.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards Lars A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In NW04 the collaboration rooms are of public,restricted, and private in which members are assign basically collaboration roles are part of the room templates basically when you define collaboration room either u use available room templates or custom templates so if you have to assign roles which you need to do is at the template level roles can be alligned with portal roles provided access is given.hope this helps .Please do not give points

with regards

subrato kundu