cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Request Backout/Rollback

paul_stoltz
Explorer
0 Kudos

There are or were several 3rd party transport management software solutions on the market at one time. Most of them offered a capability to automatically backout changes (by request ID). does anyone know how this would be possible? I would imagine the software would record the version of each object prior to the change in the target system and then if a rollback is requested it would retrieve that version and substitute it for latest version.

I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with these tools or replicating similar functionality. I believe TRANSPORT EXPRESS & REALTECH's TransportManager are some of the remaining software solutions still on the market, the other was bought by Oracle.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ivan-ae
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

rossmclanachan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

You can see a demo of Transport Express 'One Step Transport Reverse' on the Basis Technologies website. It works largely as you have assumed.

http://www.basistechnologies.com/online-demos

The irony is that One Step Transport Reverse is a feature of Transport Express that customers do not generally need to use very often, as the other functionalities of Transport (e.g. automated sequencing and importing and a suite of 30+ analysis checks that ensure transports move in correct order and do not overtake other changes incorrectly, that manual steps do not get forgotten about etc.) means they have far less SAP change management issues than they had prior to using TE, in terms of less import errors, less test issues and less business-impacting Production system issues.

However on the occasions where it is needed on the back of a major incident, the cost-benefit of being able to get the business back up so quickly is huge.

If you are interested in finding out more about Transport Express 'One Step Transport Reverse', please make contact with us via our website. We can even arrange a call with an existing customer that has used that particular functionality, so they can explain how it has helped them.

Thanks

Ross McLanachan

http://www.basistechnologies.com/

For transparency, I should state that I work with Basis Technologies, the software vendor behind Transport Express and other SAP-certified products. Prior to this, I spent almost a decade working in various SAP Change & Release and other delivery roles for a large global SAP consultancy, and so know first-hand the many faced by many SAP customers still delivering their SAP Change using largely manual processes

Former Member
0 Kudos

transport request backout/rollback is not possible by standard SAP transport tools but you can check following link for third party softwares.

[http://www.basistechnologies.com/transportexpress.html]

I think Object Manager from skywire software was bought by the Oracle.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rev-Trac - Change Request & Transport Management 3rd Party Tool will have great help on this.

This tool monitors all changes in an SAP landscape, requiring users to relate each change to a change request and progresses each change request using the rules, organization model, and approval processes a company has determined is appropriate for each type of change.

This tool may support Backout/Rollback options. You need to check with the vendor about the latest versions support this feature.

Regards

Shan

paul_stoltz
Explorer
0 Kudos

So does anyone know HOW these software companies perform the rollbacks?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

I am asking myself the same question. Did you find out how they perform the rollbacks ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

These rollbacks are performed in a very easy and standard SAP way.

Before the actual transport request is imported in the target system, a transport of type Transport of copies is created in the target system with exactly the same object list as the actual transport.

This new request then gets exported in the target system before the actual transport gets imported.

In case of problems with the actual transport in the target system the tool just imports the transport that was exported in the target system, all passes via tp and integration with TMS.

I think that this functionality is already available in Solution Manager together with retrofitting (also a functionality where you recently still needed external tools like Transport Express).

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

A couple of updates for you.

The original Skywire Object Manager transport management product was purchased by Newmerix is now owned by iWave. Its all the other Newmerix products that were purchased by Oracle.

Rev-Trac SAP Change control software does not support transport roll back.

The rationale behind electing not to support a rollback feature is based on providing flexible process enforcement, automatic overtake and overwrite protection and the limitations rollback may present for certain objects / configuration.

An interesting SAP Note, Note 11599 - Reversing transports, is available in which SAP states it does not and will not support a reversing transport feature and lists the reasons why.

Regards, Rick

Revelation Software Concepts http://www.xrsc.com