cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Component Integration Scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings all and thanks in advance. I've search the forum and weblogs but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

In the process of moving all our legacy systems to SAP we will need to keep feeding some legacy systems. We have written custom programs to create files that we will use XI to FTP to the appropriate legacy system. In most cases once all sites are on SAP some of these interfaces will no longer be needed.

As a new XI developer in a brand new XI environment I'm wondering how to set up the integration scenarios in the Integration Repository.

Since I'm moving data from SAP do I define data types, etc and message types in the SAP SWC and identical Data types in the SWC I created that represents the legacy system?

Should I create scenarios or just create the components directly in the ID?

If there are several different legacy systems that will need to be fed, would you create them as separate SWC in the SLD?

Host of other questions, but I'm looking for general guidance or insights on how you have implemented XI in your environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1 swcv is enough for all the systems.

1 name space per interface should be good.

create 1 generic namespace where all the generic objects can be created and use them across all.

You need to create 4 BS and TS and you need to definetly have 4 communication channels for each system.

But for ex: com1 is pointing to legacy 1.then all the intrefaces of legacy1 can use the same com channel.

Hope this suffices and get abck to me if u need any info.It all depends on your landscape and there are no hard & fast rules.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The classes were not very clear on how to share and object, like a data type aross the different namespaces.

I would have a SWCV = Interfaces_Legacy

namespace = urn:xxxxxxx.com/interface/system1

namespace = urn:xxxxxxx.com/interface/system2

etc.

Where should I create the SAP part of the equation? In the SAP BASIS or SAP APPL SWVC?

I have the generict data type, message type DT_FTP and MT_FTP to share across all the interace namespaces.

Since all the files will be in the same directory I will need to separate interface names for each file.

Thanks

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

<i>Where should I create the SAP part of the equation? In the SAP BASIS or SAP APPL SWVC?</i>

>>>> If you need to use Idocs/RFCs etc then try to import the all the SAP Related Structures into one SWCV. SO that it is easily readable/understandable/Maintainable.

If you are going to use Generic Data Type/message type, then try to make one SWCV called Reuseable component and try to create evrything over there.

Then for each interface(for each namespace according to the System), you can use these reusable objects from the Reuseable component.

Try to build all mappings,Interface mappings etc in the respective SWCV/Namespaces.

Just have a look into this ~

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/04/09/xi--saps-document-templates

Hope this helps,

regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

First you have to create the Software component in your SLD. Once when you create the SWC have to assign the technical and business system to it. Then login into repository and click on Tools --> Transfer from System Landscape Directory --> Import Software Component Versions --> Here check for your SWC (Interfaces_Legacy) and import it. Once when you do this the SWC which you can imported is seen in your Integratin Repository. Here you can create your Namespaces.

If you struck anywhere write to us.

---Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Moorthy,

Thanks for the link but I can't access the presentation for some reason. I have a service marketplace ID so...

I've created a SWC named Legacy_Interfaces.

A namespace for each interface

urn:xxxxx.com/TPS/Interface (system A)

urn:xxxxx.com/RSD/Interface (system B)

urn:xxxxx.com/OptimizaEU/Interface (system C)

Since the interfaces out of SAP are customized programs I'm torn between adding it as a part of the Legacy_Interface namespace or under the SAP APPL 5.0 SWC.

I'm leaning toward adding in under the Legacy Interface SWC since they in reality are not a part of SAP APPL.

Thanks for all you help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

You can go through the below urls:

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2005/06/09/walkthrough-with-bpm

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/27/rfc-scenario-using-bpm--starter-kit

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/24/do-you-like-to-understand-147correlation148-in-xi

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/05/22/schedule-your-bpm

---Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohan,

Thanks for the links. Hopefully as I get more acclimated with XI and SDN I will be able navigate better.

The links you were kind enough to provide will be of great service but I'm trying to determine more of how to <u>organize</u> my environment...

For example, my scenario is this:

I have a new SAP ECC 5.0 system. It will create interface files that need to be FTP'd to 3 different servers. One interface consists of 19 files outbound from SAP, another interface 7 outbound files (requiring renaming) and 2 inbound and another of 5 outbound files. All go to different receiving applications.

Things I wonder about which sitting in front of my laptop...

<b>Organization of the Interfaces in XI</b>

How do I define the systems in the SLD(SAP and 3 legacy)?

I see SWC of SAP APPL and SAP BASIS in the IR. Should I add a namespace to one of these for my message definitions being created from SAP or should it be under a different SWC that hasn't been imported from the SLD yet?

What should I call the SWC and SWCV of the legacy applications (do I need differnet names for DEV, QA and PROD)?

I am simply moving files via FTP and using techniques from the SDN I am able to move the messages without mapping via a generic interface. This still requires an data type, message type and message interface.

Should I duplicate the same structure in each SWCV and namespace in the repository? Should I create Integration Scenarios for FTP scenarios? Since this is going to be a very large implementation (145 plants, global in scale) I'm concerned with the rollout.

<b>Implementation</b>

I've created scenarios where I can pick up different files from one server and put them on a different server. However each of the applications I'm to FTP the files to are on different servers which mean different communication channels. Should I ask for the interfaces to be placed in different directories on the SAP server so I can define generic FTP scenarios that move files in this directory on SAP to this directory on the legacy system.

I understand these are very open questions and there is no exact answer.

As a new XI developer, but 25 years in this business, I can see that there must be a way to organize this efficiently.

Thankfully tools such as this forum, Weblog , etc. are available to allow us to reach out to colleagues that were not available when I started.

Cheers,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Routing to different systems we have done defining the 'context object' and then using this within receiver determination in where we have the different business legacy systems. Condition is that the filename or file structure needs a routing field.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mark,

For any development to be statarted you will first need SWCV.

IF you want to do a lot of reusability of data type that you are creating, then it's better to have just one SWCV.

You can have more then one SWCV and create dependiencies but there is no harm in just creating one SWCV.

For your each interface development you can create one namesppace. You can have your naming convention that anyone can find the Interface easily in the Repoitory.

For Integration Directory, since you have different legacy system. For all different SAP systems you can have one Business system each as you would need Logical system etc when using IDocs.

For your Third-Party legacy sytem you can have one Business service each. This is just for easy understanding that all the communication interacting with a particular legacy system are place under a single Busienss system/service.

For each scenario you can create one Configuration scenario.

Designing the Integration Repository and directory object should be such that you take least time in making any correction if required.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vijaya