Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server0 and now server1

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just upgraded our Java stack to SP18 (on Prod - BW system) and no we have an additional server1 process. Prior to this we had SP14 and only server0. This server1 came out of nowhere after SP18 was implemented successfully.

However, we applied SP18 to development and quality systems, but there we do not have this anomaly. There we only have server0.

All the patch levels on Dev, QA and Prod are same, but now we have an additional server1 on Prdo.

Can someone please explain me the possible reasons for this?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guatam,

Another server node can not be added by SP 18 automatically. This is definately done by some of our team memeber manually with the help of configtool.

With Regards,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Saurabh is right you can add the servernode in the configtool by selecting the instance for which you want to add the server Node.SP18 is Collection of Support Pack and support Pack are collectoin of note correction,so it has nothing to do with Server Node creation.

Thanks Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Saurabh is right you can add the servernode in the configtool by selecting the instance for which you want to add the server Node.SP18 is Collection of Support Pack and support Pack are collectoin of note correction,so it has nothing to do with Server Node creation.

Thanks Rishi Abrol

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, some QnA with my peers revealed that one of them had indeed added server1, but soon after had disabled it.

server1 had been disabled some 4-5 months ago. So, how come it was enabled again right after the SP upgrade?

Can this automatic activation of server1 happen?

Also, when exactly would the system need an extra server node?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Automatic Activation is not possible with the SP 18.

Addtional server node helps in load sharing in broader terms. You can refer to below thread for more details.

I suggest that if you dont need this new server node, disable it again or better to delete this node this time.

With Regards,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can this automatic activation of server1 happen?

I am only guessing, but it looks like it was activated during patching, maybe it is needed during deployment of patches (note there is a ..cluster/server1 directory).

Also, when exactly would the system need an extra server node?

An additional server node can be useful, when you have a high load on the server0. You cannot add threads without limit and depending on your OS and hardware with another server process you can easily use more memory. During garbage collection time, only one server process will be blocked. If the server process crashes, the users will be redirected to the other node.

So in short, in high load, high heap usage systems, you might need more than one server process.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

HOW TO DOWN LOAD DOCUMENTS FROM IXOS SERVER & LINKED TO PM OBJECTS IN NEW SERVER.

Edited by: Rishi on Jul 14, 2009 7:39 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam

These are server processes and SP upgrade wiuld not have done added server 1 process

I am sure someone in your team would have added server 1 process in your system

Rohit