cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Characteristics Dependent Planning - CDP

former_member978618
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can anybody please share some experiences on CDP ?

Is there any available best practices ?

What all modules need to be implemented in APO for this purpose ?

Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

If you search with "characteristic dependent planning" in a famous online book store, you will find a book that provides lots of insight into the topic across multiple industries - admittedly dating back to 2005.

Then there's a [SAP Best Practice for Primary Steel|http://help.sap.com/bp_primarysteel1500/Steel_China/html/index.htm]. Have look to the Business Information and the Preconfigured Scenarios.

There's a whole lot of detailled knowledge how to best set-up.

Regards,

Stefan

former_member978618
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response stepan.

I dont know if I can accomplish that through CDP.

Here is the explanation of my scenario.

We are using MTS and we drive the production through PIR's and we are batch managed currently.

Lets say I have 1 material (mat1), 2 customers (cust1 and cust2) and 2 batches (batch 1 and batch 2). batch 2 can be used only by cust2. lets say i have mat1 with batch 2 in stock and I have 500 ea. I dont have anything in batch 1. I need to enter a PIR to produce batch 1 and have to tell mrp to consider that, can we do that ?

if so can you please tell me in detail ?

thanks again !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandru,

Let us know where you are generation the batch in your logistics ? it  is confusing

You are defining/deciding the batch characteristics before production planning i.e. in PIR.

Please  note ECC MRP doesn't consider/recognize batch.

If your are defining the batch at PIR level then you should go for variant configuration with MTS scenario by creating planning profile.

Regards

Sandeep

former_member250064
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Stefan,

The link of primary metal best practices is not working, also it is not exist on the best practices home page? Is it merged with another industry now or what?

Thanks for your feedback

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandru reddy,

Please confirm whether your query is resolved.

former_member978618
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey senthil,

I closed it unresolved... still I'm looking for a solution.

former_member978618
Active Participant
0 Kudos

thanks all for the responses

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandru reddy,

I doubt whether your requirement can be met in CDP because your scenario does not have boms in current system and comes from external system. But to make it work, ensure that you need to define either PPM/PDS as inhourse source of supply for production. If that is achieved, your scenario will works.

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

former_member978618
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response guys !

We are not using variant configuration in our current system.

Currently we are not even maintaining BOM's in ECC. We are creating BOM's on the go with some external system.

The main issue that we have is we should be able to plan materials based on plant, material and batch characteristics but MRP doesn't go to that level. so we are thinking about going for APO and thought CDP would be an option. Is there any possibility that we can handle this easily ?

please give me your thoughts

Former Member
0 Kudos

CDP is widely used in PP/DS for variant configuration with usage of classes and characterisitics

PPMS are preferred (infact super BOMs, Production versions are used)

tightly linked with R/3 can help in ATP in a better way

also widely used for block planning, MLATP,

used for high tech , paper and mills industry

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandru,

1) Basically, CDP is widely used in PPDS module.

2) Few best practices are;

a) It requires correct master data information to be maintained in R/3 side for classes and characteristics.

b) You can use CDP both for MTO and MTS scenarios

c) Tight integration with R/3 is required to ensure smooth working of this functionality

d) You can better prefer PPM rather than PDS for choosing source of supply due to its complexity.

3) For further more informations, you can follow the below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/EN/e7/920b42ed755f24e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Please let me know if this helps you to resolve all your queries

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.