cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I would like to know if the following general method to restore a database from a backup medium is correct enough to startup the database successfully.

Scenerio of datafile/database corruption

1)Remove all files from the related database folders (Eg sapdataX, origlogX etc)

2)Restore last night online backup

3)Restore the necessary archivelog to oraarch

4)Check all permission

5)STARTUP NOMOUNT

6)recover database until cancel

7)alter database open;

Regards

Lauran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

May I know why i have to use "startup mount" instead? I though since database is not going to be mounted until recover is done, I should use "startup nomount"?

Also, can noresetlogs be use so that the sequence can be continue?

If i use Brtools to do the restore, i assume i start brtools after "startup mount"?

Kindly advice and thanks for the information

Lauran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lauran,

imho the commands startup mount and startup nomount will do the same in this case. startup mount will try to do so, but will fail, and will end in nomount state.

startup nomount is to be preferred, because there won't be error messages.

And yes, I think the way you described in your first post will work.

But let me suggest you try it out as soon as possible. Nothing can beat the experience of having done it successfully.

Just now i am not sure whether resetlogs will be necessary. As SurendraJain wrote, you may try both. You won't destroy anything by an unsuccessful try here.

regards

PS:

With a bit thinking about it:

I am quite sure resetlogs will be necessary.

Edited by: Joe Bo. on Jun 9, 2009 9:45 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lauran,

Startup nomount ;It just read init<SID>.ora & nothing doing anything in database.

startup mount ; this check everything controlfile header ,every datafile header if any inconsistencies then you can only recover in mount state.

So recovery possible in mount state ,if any doubt then write.

Resetlogs required if your database not recover upto consistent

Thnx

SurendraJain

Edited by: Surendrajain2003 on Jun 9, 2009 2:27 PM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lauran,

I think except Step

5)STARTUP NOMOUNT

It is correct method. It should be STARTUP MOUNT.Also make sure backup which you are going to restore is corruption free bacup.You can also go for point in time recovery using BR*Tools.

Below link will guide you how to do a point in time recovery using BR*Tools

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/93/4ffb72309fb04e80ebfefae1b7a96f/frameset.htm

1)Remove all files from the related database folders (Eg sapdataX, origlogX etc)

No need delete old folder. It will get overwrite.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sushil

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through below document for restore and it will be very useful:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/65/cade3bd0c8545ee10000000a114084/content.htm

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Restoration depends on current situtation which type restoration required like Timestamp,Sequence number etc.However below are the step as u written

1)Remove all files from the related database folders (Eg sapdataX, origlogX etc) ....

.( NOT REquired to remove .)

2)Restore last night online backup

3)Restore the necessary archivelog to oraarch

4)Check all permission (Permission Will be same after restoration )

5)STARTUP NOMOUNT (startup mount)

6)recover database until cancel

7)alter database open; (If not opening then you have to alter database open resetlogs)

Thnx

SurendraJain