cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from database to PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anyone explain me how we can call PI from a database.

In our process we are using SQL server. we have developed internal workflows. when a status field is changed in database a workflow event is triggerred and it should call PI and send data to PI which then passes the data to SAP.

I know we can use JDBC to call D/B from PI, but we don't know how often the status field is changed.

so we are using the workflow events.

Can anyone give me some input on this scenario.

Thanks in advance,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sre,

you could either use asynchr JBDC sender adapter what is polling in a small intervall. Only if a flag has a certain value a message will be send. The flag will be updated after the select. Or you write a stored procedure which sends a http message to PI.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply, we don't know the pollinterval. the status updates may be done in a week or month or so.

My question is how we can call PI or trigger PI adapters when a workflow event is triggered in D/B.

if so which adapter is appropriate to use in this case.

Regards,

Sre.

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I know we can use JDBC to call D/B from PI

JDBC is used to call PI from DB....the trigerring part has to be done at the DB side and not PI side....the DB itself has to initiate the process.....so i dont think we can do a configuration for the same in PI....

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi All,

>

> Can anyone explain me how we can call PI from a database.

> In our process we are using SQL server. we have developed internal workflows. when a status field is changed in database a workflow event is triggerred and it should call PI and send data to PI which then passes the data to SAP.

>

> I know we can use JDBC to call D/B from PI, but we don't know how often the status field is changed.

> so we are using the workflow events.

>

> Can anyone give me some input on this scenario.

>

> Thanks in advance,

you can have a JDBC sender adapter poll the table and check for the data where the flag field is set.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. In my scenario, we don't the how often the status updates are done on D/B. so if we give time in the CC then Xi will poll the D/B at the given time and performance will be effected. so we are using workflow events that will trigger whenever the status changes. this process should trigger or call the PI server to pick up the data and send to receiver.

More inputs on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sre.

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sre,

dont worry about perfromance. Even a poll intervall of 10 seconds isnt a challenge. And if there is no change flag, no data would go to PI. You ll have your message with just a delay of 10 seconds.

The alternative is if the workflow triggers a stored procedure which sends XML to http sender adapter.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Udo,

you have cleared my doubt, But incase if the status is updated on a weekly basis and some cases updated daily. if we give polltime as 1 hr. my question is whether it will effect D/B if we give 1 hr poll time if the stutus changes after a week and the select statement queries the D/B for every hr.

Regards,

Sre.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the best option is to have the adapter poll for say every 1 hr and pick record where the flag has been set.

else another option is to have your workflow (is it an SAP workflow?) trigger a RFC or IDoc call to XI and then within XI do a DB lookup.

the second alternative is a bit complicated but is more real time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are building D/B workflow on SQL server. this worklow will trigger when the status is updated. i need to call PI when this trigger happens on the sending D/B side.

Please suggest me.

Regards,

Sre.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> We are building D/B workflow on SQL server. this worklow will trigger when the status is updated. i need to call PI when this trigger happens on the sending D/B side.

>

> Please suggest me.

>

> Regards,

> Sre.

i guess then having the jdbc adapter poll the table is the easiest in this case.