cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion of Archive files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

My Oraarch directory is full ,I have to delete some archive files.

Now My confusion which files I should delete old or new one.

I can not take back up of Oraarch on other location.

If I delete old file then will it create issue while restoring as sequence number would be missing.

Please suggest.

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Definetly will create issue during recover/restore database if you delete manually archived file.

Better go through save delete option.If you are taking OFFLINE FULL backup regularly then your problem will minimize even manually delete archived files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shivam,

You should not delete any offline redo logs file manually. As those are needed for a completed recovery.When you want to perform a complete recovery, to recover the data to the (committed) state the data had at the moment of crash, you need all the offline and online redo log files written from the point in time of the last database backup.

If a file is missing from the chain of offline redo log files, a restore of subsequent offline redo log files and corresponding recovery of the database is not possible.You can then only perform a point-in-time recovery, using all offline redo log files older than the lost one. This will result in a loss of data changes performed from the point in time of your lost offline redo log file. Therefore, you should keep at least two copies of all offline redo log files on disks or on tapes.

BRARCHIVE has several call options (functions) that determine how the offline redo log files are processed. SAP recommends using the option -cds (copy_delete_save), which is also the default option when starting BRARCHIVE from transaction DB13.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sushil

Edited by: Sushil Suryawanshi on Jun 4, 2009 5:17 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I can not take back up of Oraarch on other location.

You should back them up to a tape device.

> If I delete old file then will it create issue while restoring as sequence number would be missing.

If they are needed for a recover of the database, yes.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

We take backup of archive files but my confusion is if due to some circuminstances I have to delete archive then which one i will choose and what will be its impact.

Shivam

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you use brarchive to back them up, you can choose the option "save_delete". This will back them up and delete them after the backup is correct and complete.

Markus