cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Roles methodology @ ERM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We are facing some concerns regarding import roles methodology and would like to consult we you.

The import roles methodology raised a concern since it is done partially by uploading data from an excel file (template by SAP).

Our customer wants reassurance that this is a safe process and to know about other customers experience and results (how many problems they encounter? How fast is the process? What issues occur while uploading the roles to ERM? Related information etc.

Could you advice?

Thanks in advance

Rothem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rothem,

1. Our customer wants reassurance that this is a safe process and to know about other customers experience and results (how many problems they encounter?

The process is completely safe and even if you miss out on some of the role updates, you can still do specifically the ones you missed.

2. How fast is the process?

This is not generally a very time consuming tasks and provided your machine configuration is as per standards, this would not really be an area for concern at all. I mean, to my knowledge and experience I have not cme accross a situation where it took a lot of time and became a thing to worry about.

3. What issues occur while uploading the roles to ERM? Related information etc.

These I guess have already been mentioned by people in the above posts and are mostly of the similar nature, just as they are mentioning. Better to try first with a few of the Roles and then if it happens smoothly, you can upload the rest all in one go.

Regards,

Hersh.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/hersh13

Edited by: HERSH GUPTA on Jun 4, 2009 1:42 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rothem,

Our customer wants reassurance that this is a safe process and to know about other customers experience and results (how many problems they encounter

You have to be careful in defining BP and Sub-BP. They should be identical in CUP, apart from that there is length difference in ERM and CUP so better keep names within 35 char limit. The names are case sensitive so better define all of them in upper case only. Upload file should have identical names. Also Bp and SUB-BO process mapping should be done correctly and identical in ERM and CUP.

Even then if you face problem, you can always reupload data with overwrite option.

We have doen this entire process. You will not face much problems and what ever they are, can be rectified.

Regards,

Sabita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rothem ,

I am giving you the steps for role upload into ERM,

1. Make all letters of Functional Area, Business Process and Sub-Proces to upper case letter.

2. Filter unique Business Process, Sub-Process Combination and verify that any Business Sub-Process is not asssigned to more than one Process.

3. Check whether these Functional Area, Business Procees and Sub-Process Exist in System and that combination is identical. If it is not than we will have to change Busines Sub-Process Name.

4. If some or all of them exist in system, then assign all of them to relevent Application.

5. If any of them is not existing ,then create them in CUP and ERM and do process mapping in both the system, both must be idential and assign them to relevent Applications.

6. Check whether Approver ID exists or not. IF not create them.

7. Define aaprover criteria according to Role attributes.

8. Download files form backend system.

9. Create one ROle attribute file as text tab de-limited in the template downloaded from GRC.

10. Upload the Roles in ERM.

11. Analyze the role upload job whether all roles are successful. If not, analyze the problem, rectify them and reupload rest of the files.

You will face error if you miss any step mestioned above. Like upper case of all Business process, Sub-business process,Fuctional Area...etc etc

Regards,

Sudip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rothem,

As per my experience, this is not a straightforward process. It will take trial and error while uploading roles but once you get used to it, it will become a simple process.

There is no workaround to this process so this is the only way to upload roles into ERM. This will be just a one time activity, once you have uploaded all your roles into ERM and if you are going to use ERM to generate roles into your Dev/QA environment.

Regards,

Alpesh