cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundamentals of upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

What exactly changes with an SAP version upgrade ? all important tables are in Db and I guess db is not touched during upgrade, so what actually changes here ?

Can somebody give me some simple but clear idea on this. (Not any other URL or guide name as I already have upgrade guide downloaded from SMP login and have ADM326 too).

But need to know the basic changes that happen during upgrade.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let Me explain you .

when upgrade happens like you are 4.6c and you want to do go to Ecc6 .So there shall be many tables in which changes have been done by Sap to add new Features.So during the upgrade SAPup is the tool that is used for the upgrade.

Sapup Helps you to Prepare you system in the prepare Phase.

Then Sapup will ask you to create a shadow instance aal the changes will be done in the shadow instance and once it will complete then you main system database will be copied by the shadow instance.

During the upgrade SAPup will let you know which all tables have been changes due to some custmising, or modification done by the ABAPers to set up the functionality.So you will have to take the help of abaper to run SPAU and SPDD.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Few basic questions on this.

1) If our Db is in Oracle 9i. Can we upgarde SAP from 4.7C to ECC6.0 keeping Db in 9i ? or we have to do DB upgrade to 10g first.

2) From your experience, can please let me know which stage ( Planning,Prepare, Upgrade process etc) takes most of the time ?

3) Shadow instance can be created on the same box or it should be in separate server than current instance ?

4) What are the major changes that ECC6.0 offers which is not there in 4.7 ?

Need to know these to update myself. Before starting actual activities.

Thanks a lot on earlier updates.

Manu, it was excellent Wiki page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

All your basic questions have answers easilly found in the upgrade guide and the SAP notes.

Before beginning an upgrade you have to read (and understand) documentation. It takes several days of full time reading.

I always tell that you can easily spot the guy in charge of a SAP update beacause of the huge pile of paper on his desk !

Good reading !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike

please fallow the answers

1) If our Db is in Oracle 9i. Can we upgarde SAP from 4.7C to ECC6.0 keeping Db in 9i ? or we have to do DB upgrade to 10g first.

yes you need to upgrade first oracle 9i to 10g.

2) From your experience, can please let me know which stage ( Planning,Prepare, Upgrade process etc) takes most of the time ?

Prepare phase.

3) Shadow instance can be created on the same box or it should be in separate server than current instance ?

while perform sap actual upgrade it will create show instance in the same box. that is called downtime minimized.

4) What are the major changes that ECC6.0 offers which is not there in 4.7 ?

Java Instance

if you want any doubts regarding upgrade please ask me ..

Regards

Bandla

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

you will get complete and useful information regardin ECC upgrade here:

http://service.sap.com/upgrade-erp/

you will get FAQ there in that you will get all the answers for your queries and u will get upgrade guides as well.

so have a look and have fun there:)

Cheers...

-Srini

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> all important tables are in Db and I guess db is not touched during upgrade

You could not be more wrong on this guess !

Main upgrade runtime is updating the database.

Don't forget that all Abap code is stored in the database...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Almost all answers are available in documentations & notes. Still people asks here. Else notes, ADM study materials are well enough to understand the things!!

If anybody can help me to get the answers on these please let know.

I meant ABAP Dictionary objects, ABAP source code, ABAP load modules etc gets updated not Oracle Db structures or Db dictionary objects.

Need some clarification on this. Demarcation line between SAP repository, objects and pure Db objects. Whats gets upgraded and whats not ?

manu_susankar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MikeJ,

Please Visit [WiKi|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/erp6/learning+map].

Regards,

S.Manu