cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the need of having Requirement Type?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

What is the need to have a requirement type in SAP? For all practical purposes when a requirement type points to only one requirement class, what is the need to have the concept of a Requirement type? I believe you should have been provided an option of entering the requirement class directly in the sales order instead of having a requirement type pointing to a requirement class. What say?

This thought has been lingering in my mind for quite some time now. Would be delighted if some of you could throw some light onto it.

Regards,

Anil Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hope you would have gone through the SAP notes on Requirement Type which is reproduced as under

Strategy for Determining the Requirements Type

1. First, an attempt is made to find a requirements type using the strategy group in the material master.

2. If the strategy group has not been maintained, the system will determine it using the MRP group.

3. If the MRP group has not been defined, the system uses the material type instead of the MRP group when accessing the corresponding control tables.

4. If no requirements type is found here, the system assumes a special rule and attempts to find a requirements type with the aid of the item category and the MRP type.

5. If this is not possible, a last attempt is made to find a requirements type with the item category only.

6. If the last attempt fails, the system declares the transaction as not relevant for the availability check or transfer of requirements.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi,

I do agree with this.. But my question is, why do we have a requirement type - when all it does is to point to a requirement class. Instead of having a requirement type pointing to the requirement class, why not have the requirement class being pointed by a strategy group or MRP group or Material type or the other two sources? Is there any other function associated with the requirement type - other than pointing to a requirement class? I question the very purpose of having a requirement type in SAP..

Regards,

Anil Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

A BIGGER BUMP.!!

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you may be aware Requirement type is determined based on item categoy and MRP type.

Same requirement types can be assigned to any number of item cateogies for different MRP types. Since item cateogories cannot be assigned to requirement class directly, requirement type is a link between them.

Though requirement type has no feature associated with it, it helps in assigning the correct requirement class in a sales document. Any number of requirement types can be assigned to requirement class. So MRP type in material master plays a vital role in fetching the rquirement class. Hence, you can enter manually the Requirement type in sale order but not Requirement Class.

Hope to have clarified to some extent.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lakshmipathi..

I agree with your points on the determination of the requirement type based on MRP Type and Item Category.. However, when you have been given provision to attach a requirement type to this combination of itm ctg and MRP Type, SAP could have very well given an option to attach requirement class directly to the said combination. Similarly an option to enter a requirement class directly in the sales document would have sufficed.

I strongly believe, there is some more reason why SAP introduced a concept of Requirement type other than just to point to a requirement class.

Regards,

Anil Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hit a bump again.!!

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hit a bump again.!!

there is some more reason why SAP introduced
  a concept of Requirement type other than 
    just to point to a requirement class.

Instead of posting the first comment cited above again and again what I would request is that you raise the same question to SAP, wait for their response, update the same in this forum so that we all should be thankful to you.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi,

Thanks for putting your efforts to quench the thirst of my curiosity. I would definitely post this query to SAP. I appologise for having repeated the comments again and again. Well, it was all impatience on my part, I believe. I would definitely revert back to the forum as and when I get the answer from whichever source.

Regards,

Anil Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

BUMP.!!!