cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Service Bus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I was reading couple of article on what ESB is. But I was confused about the architecture of ESB. Does anybody have clear idea of what ESB is, what XI should provide to position it as a an ESB.

Please, do not point me to the sdn blogs/articles as I already them.

Thanks in Advance

Sreekanth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

To share my understanding of ESB:

Any successful implementation of SOA/ESA requires applications and infrastructure to support it's principles. This means all the applications either should have the ability to expose their functionality as services or they need an infrastructure to expose the service. SAP XI would definetly help to expose the application functionality as services(web). I dare to call as a 'service container' in ESB terminology.

Besides the service repository functionality, XI also provides value added services like intelligent routing, mapping, auditing functionality etc.

And also distributed deployment(ESB quality for scaling) of some of the XI components are possible. Say for example, adapter deployment options(central, decentral), PCK, proxy framework etc.

On the security aspect of these exposed service, my understanding is that XI do not have much (like ws-security, xml signature, encryption, etc).

Business Process Modelling(BPEL4WS conformance) can be used for the service choreography. I am not sure whether CAF and VC supports BPEL standards.

Can anybody throw some thougths on this. And also what are the webservice management tools(deploying, declarative security etc) available in NetWeaver?

Best Regards

Sreekanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreekanth,

XI has Rolebased security for User access. As ESA brings the Standards and security in the environment it talks at architectural level security rather than product based security. Encryption is a format of data which is in some definate format this is done by network technologies like VPN etc in your environment. Where XI is primarly focuses on the BPM and the Data convertions that are defined as per standards.

Hope i have answered you.

Regards

Veera

Note : Please mark the Points if this reply is helpful to you