Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation of the number of Roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

I work with SAP 4.6c and back a couple of years ago we ran into an issue where some users had to many roles, then the RED lights started showing in the users profile with their roles listed. I remember that we applied a patch I think that allowed us to extend that limitation out to I think 12 more roles, but I can not find the information on what the patch was or maybe a it was a parameter setting, can someone point me in the right direction this?

One of our test systems has this issue. When I compair the user ID in another system where the user has more roles their profile is fine, so I am looking for the solution here.

Thank you

Robert

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Possibly you are using composite roles and the other system is not. You can "compress" the duplication of profile assignment but it does not really solve the conceptual problem...

Actually, 12 more profiles were added, and then the number was doubled later via the reference user concept. Nice of SAP, but it is still "bait" to not design your roles well.

There is a formula you can use to work it out if you search for [maximum AND roles|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/search.jspa?forumID=208&threadID=&q=maximumANDroles&objID=f208&dateRange=all&numResults=15&rankBy=10001] ...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I will work my through the link you provided, and thank you for that. I compaired the users account in two systems, and system A has more roles, Composite Roles added to the user in system A then in system B. The composite roles are the same in both systems, but I have the red lights in the user account in system B with less roles, so I am thinking that there is a parameter setting or something that is different.

I will post back with my findings.

Robert

0 Kudos

Julius,

Here is what I have. We had a test system built from client copy, and then they used a product called Gold Client to copy the security settings from one of our other system, so all the users in the new test system have double and triple roles. I am going to see what I can do to remove all the security from the users and have the security part re-done.

Anyway that is where I am at with this.

Thank you

Robert

0 Kudos

I am not aware of any automated medication against that (assigning the same role twice or more), but haven't needed to search for one either (yet - touch wood :-).

Next best thing would be to use PRGN_COMPRESS_TIMES to reduce the duplicate profile assignments of the duplicate roles. That is possibly anyway the first symptom (limit) which you are observing.

Good luck,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius

I read about that in another thread, I am going to try that this morning. "PRGN_COMPRESS_TIMES"

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos

Julius I dont think the program PRGN_COMPRESS_TIMES is used in SAP version 4.6c from everything that I have looked up. Do you know of anything else that might work to clean up duplicate roles within a users profile?

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos

If you are brave and check it in advance for syntax and data element compatibility with 46C, then you can transport it backwards from a higher release... but there is ABAP OO Class implemented in it so this will probably not work.

How many users are affected? (please don't say 10...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius

Not sure how many are effected, I am sure that there are 2700 loaded into the test system, but should be less the 50 using it. I work on one user ID, and the issue grows and links me to another ID, then I go back and forth fixing issues with each one then running PFUD, then go back to see what else needs to be fixed.

It would be nice if I had the approval to just nuke and pave and start over with this system, or find a way to remove all the security and replace with a fresh copy from another system.

thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos

Sorry that I can't help further then.

> I work on one user ID, and the issue grows and links me to another ID, then I go back and forth fixing issues with each one then running PFUD, then go back to see what else needs to be fixed.

Plan B - for damage control: Go to table AGR_USERS and download it to Excel to see where your biggest problems are. Tackle them via the Users tab in PFCG and then put each on back only once.

> It would be nice if I had the approval to just nuke and pave and start over with this system.

Plan C: Just one line of code and it's all over...

> or find a way to remove all the security and replace with a fresh copy from another system.

I dont know what you are wanting to achieve later with this client so cannot comment, but deleting everything and a new import of the USERS profile should be easy.

Cheers,

Julius