cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP XI advantages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello XI experts,

My company is in the process of evaluating the ETL tools and want to find out the What are the advantages of using SAP XI. Can you people help me convience them to sue SAP XI. I am a BW dev, not much of idea of XI comparisions to other ETL tools.

Background: Have SAP R/3 , Oil & Gas, BW, Peoplesoft, third party databases, some crystal front end reporting.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

BWer

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

search in sdn same question posted many times...

XI is well suited for connecting SAP systems with each other and with non-SAP. SAP XI provides an integrated workflow engine that allows defining adapters to non-XML protocols and mappings to convert data content from source to target format.

XI comes handy particularly incase of SAP - Non SAP interfaces where you can import standard integration content. Also XI has got sophisticated open standard adapter framework which is very easy to implement and custom logic can be implemented using Adapter module programming.

Advantages

u2022 Monitoring is better than any other middleware product. It offers exhaustive monitoring features like message, performance, component monitoring etc, all of which can be used to track and rectify the errors. It follows a hub and spoke model.

u2022 When you need to integrate with an SAP system XI has an advantage in supporting various SAP components and so on.

u2022 Process functionalities inside XI to modify content in the communication channel on own defined rules for business purposes.

u2022 Mappings and adapters are good as comparable with any other middleware product.

u2022 Synchronous & Asynchronous communication is possible.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am writing my master thesis about SAP PI/XI and i can share my knowledge with you. Please check my personal blog www.celikalper.com and if you need anything send me e-mail.

Alper

from Stockholm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here are the advantages from my point of view.There are lots of advantages but to list a few :

• Easy Integration with SAP products & components (RFC, IDOC, Proxy).

• Data security as expected from any SAP product.

• Standards based - XML, XSD, Xpath etc

• Ability to communicate with other messaging systems/products.

• Business Process Management

• Synchronous & Asynchronous communication possible.

• Complex processes for communication possible instead of only sending and receiving (business process management) (connect e.g. asynchronous and synchronous steps, define complex communication scenarios)

• Mapping etc possible to accomplish in Java. Platform independent Java components.

• Java & .Net support.

• Big range of adapters for different technologies / tools (SOAP, Mail, JDBC, CDIX...)available in standard or offered by other companies (EDI e.g. by Seeburger).

• Process functionalities inside XI to modify content in the communication channel on own defined rules fpr business purposes.

• Central monitoring for data communication for all your communication between different systems.

• And the marketing issue: SAP and its partners provide high volume of development capabilities to make XI always up-to-date for new requirements

For more information about XI, Please go through this link:

https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/xi

Regards,

abhy

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on many parameters

1) As mentioned system landsacpes

2) If you have R/3 or any SAP systems in your environment, then you can definitely think of XI as an Integration tool.

3) Total Cost of OwnerShip is reduced

4) XI is an Centralized Integration Platform with Open Standard. In current world, Openness is important.

5) Skill Set

6) Also remember that XI is an Evolving Integration Tool.

Pls refer following threads for more-

Also check sap.com and search for XI case studies. You will get to know much more !!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps,

regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

BWer,

I think it will be good if we your company goes with one SAP product and different components in it. Because if you purchase any ETL like Informatica, Datastage etc you have to also purchase Data Modeling tools like ERWIN and Reporting tools like COGNOS, BusinessObjects, Microstrategy etc. So instead of purchasing these many tools and finding resources for them if your company goes for SAP BW and SAP XI which can be used for interfacing between your present data and the future data that would be good.

This are my views. Apart from this your company might think about finance and other things.

---Mohan