Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting User IDs from the SRM system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am continuing to experience a problem with deleting users from the SRM system. I have looked at previous threads which refer to using the following function modules to delete users, once all associated shopping carts and purchase orders are clear.

BAPI_USER_DELETE - to delete the user fully

HR_CENTRALPERSON_DELETE -to delete the central person

BUP_BUPA_DELETE - to delete the business partner

This process still does not appear to delete the user completely as upon testing the position id is not deleted from the Org Structure.

We have applied note 1148837 (report PARTNER_SET_DELETE0 which is supposed to eradicate the problems with deleting users but this does not appear to work.

Does anyone know of any alternative solutions/notes ?

Thanks

Simon

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, from an SAP security perspective is is highly recommended not to delete the user ID.

A better option is BAPI_USER_LOCK (lock the account) and BAPI_USER_CHANGE (move it into a "retired" user group).

These open cart documents are not the only documents which will loose their "key" to the data and change documents and log files and so forth....

And when an ID with the same name is created later on, it can inherit the old settings and address data and developer keys and variants and background jobs and so forth...

There have been a number of discussions about this already over the years here.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Thanks for your response, I would be grateful if you could clarify a couple of points for me.

If it is highly recommended not to delete user id's on SAP, will this not result in licences being taken up unecessarily by the users who no longer exist , and also result in the purchase of further user licences.

If a USER ID is subsequently created with the same name, this would not necessarily want to inherit the previous users settings , address data, etc as they could be a completely different person.

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos

It depends on your license agreement.

If you have an "enterprise license" (unlimited users) then it does not matter. At most you might still want to do user measurement for internal cost distribution.

If the user no longer has a valid user ID and has not logged on during the period of measurement, then they are not included in the license fee either. So that is not a problem.

> If a USER ID is subsequently created with the same name, this would not necessarily want to inherit the previous users settings , address data, etc as they could be a completely different person.

Yes, exactly. Hence do not delete the user ID's and keep them unique - but disabled, out of validity and protected.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thanks Julius,

We do not have an enterprise licence agreement, so licences are an issue within my organisation.

I was unaware that if the user id was no longer valid ( validiity period had ended), and the user had not logged on during the period of measurement that they are not included in the licence fee.

I assume this would be applicable when we recieve our annual SAP licence audit, and any users who we previously would have deleted should have there validity period ended, roles/access removed and be locked, these users and their licences would no longer be counted during any licence audit, and the history of the user would remain.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Simon

0 Kudos

> I assume this would be applicable when we recieve our annual SAP licence audit, and any users who we previously would have deleted should have there validity period ended, roles/access removed and be locked, these users and their licences would no longer be counted during any licence audit, and the history of the user would remain.

Check it with your account manager. I am certain that exactly this is the case, otherwise I will eat my hat

Additionally it would be absurd for SAP to use the user name of the master record as a key in thousands of tables and millions of records, and then charge for it ad infinitum ...

Cheers

0 Kudos

Thanks Julius,

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Simon