cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Selections not possible in the selection screen (WD ABAP)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I developed a Web Dynpro Application with a selection screen where the select options (extensions and intervals) for e.g. MATNR (Material) are defined by the used component WDR_SELECT_OPTIONS. When the user clicks the small arrow on the right side of screen (extensions) and gives his criteria to get a list of Materials, the standard screen has multi select capabilities. But when we select more then one records and try to copy in the extensions screen, the system gives an error message saying that only one entry can be copied.

Questions:

1) Is there any way we can enable the multi record copy functionality?

2) Is there any way we can override the error message and have our own handler? If yes, can someone please give a brief example?

3) Any other thoughts on having the multiple selection capabilities?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Tom,

I'm actually talking about the standard integrated search help which gets created automatically by the system (you got it right). When I click the arrow next to the select option (Material), it open up a small window with title "Multiple Selections". I can enter multiple values manually here. So far it is good. Now if in this screen I click on the dropdown for column "From", I get a list of Materials to select from. The list has multiple selection capabilities. But when more then one value is selected I get an error message "Select exactly one row of value list to copy". The users are asking if we can give them the capability of selecting more then one row here so that multiple values are populated in the small "Multiple Selections" popup. This way they don't have to type single values separately.

Hope this explains the problem. I don't know how to send screen shots in this post. Thanks much for your response.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

That is actually what I was refering to as well.

>The users are asking if we can give them the capability of selecting more then one row here so that multiple values are populated in the small "Multiple Selections" popup.

The short answer is no. This has to do with the design of the search help itself (WD Component WDR_F4_ELEMENTARY). Have a look at the Event handler in the GENERAL view - ONACTIONTAKE_OVERN. You will see the IF check on the number of selected lines.

I am sure that this has to do with the complexity of bring mulitple values back into a source context. When the help is triggered, you have a reference to the context element that activated it - but where would you place multiple instances back into (even if the node containing the element was a multiple cardinality)?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess we'll say no to the users. Have some thoughts on this though. We should be able to return multiple values to the calling window in the "Multiple Selections" popup. It would be similar to entering more then one value manually. Since it is a Range Table behind the scenes, we can programmatically fill it with the Sign='I', Option='EQ'. OR Can we override the standard behavior by using our own handler? Just a thought. Thanks for your clarification.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You have to remember that the value help you are calling is generic. The same component could be called from an single input field, inside a table, or in this case in the multi-value selection of a Select Option. The code in the value help is designed to work in all situations. In your particular situation - yes you have a range table. But this would require the generic component to have specific knowledge of where it was being called from and the elements around it.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I think you are confusing the mutliple selection screen with the value help that pops up out of it. The integrated value help will only allow you to select a single value. This is because of the binding to one source context element.

On the other hand there is nothing keeping you from entering multiple selection criterial (either manually or through multiple value help popups) into the the Multiple Selection Screen. When you select OK, the color of the arrow next to your selection option will change from pink to green to signify that you have other selections that aren't displayed. The range that is returned from the selection option will contain mulitple values.

Does this answer your question? I could throw a couple of screen shots up into my images area if not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sanjay

1)check the cordinality is it 0.1 or 1.1 ot 1.N or 0.N depending upon the selection clriteria.

2)You can have your own error message, you have to dife these in Message pool

hope this may help you

Regards,

RK