cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our dev system kernel release is 700 and patch is 146.I want to increase the patch level from 146 to 159.What is the procedure to increase the ptach level from 146 to 159 in sap kernel release 700.

Regards,

Bala

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Goto Service market place and download the Kernel Patch 159 for you System depending on the OS and Database.

There shall be two car files one database dependent and other non database independent.

Download them and place then in folder.

Uncar them by running SAPCAR -xvf abd then the .car files.

Stop your sapsystem and database.

Take the backup of old kernel.

Copy the new kernel files in to /sapmnt/SID/exe directory with sidadm.

Saposcol will not get copied .Copy Saposcol with root and set its permission with 4775.

then you can run ./saproot.sh in /sapmnt/SID/exe.

Start the system and check the version of kernel by running disp+work.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The output comes like that only

SAPCAR -xvf SAPEXE_159-20001001.SAR

SAPCAR -xvf SAPEXEDB_159-20000999.SAR

./ ../

ABAP.pad* core

R3check* R3ta*

R3trans* SAPCAR*

SAPEXE_159-20001001.SAR SAPEXEDB_159-20000999.SAR

ndflird:irdadm 11% ls

ABAP.pad R3trans

core SAPCAR

R3check SAPEXE_159-20001001.SAR

R3ta SAPEXEDB_159-20000999.SAR

Regards,

Muthu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am unable to extract the .SAR file with the help of SAPCAR -xvf "patch of the car file"

Regards,

Muth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the space where you are uncaring .Did you download the correct file .What is your OS and database .Did you check the bits of your System.

Please create a new directory and uncar the patch.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Please ake sure that you have taken backup of exe directory. then use SAPCAR of backed up direcotry and extract these two kernel files in the exe direcoty.

One important thing is that, if it will not able to extract any file in between then remaining file will not be extracted. Please ake sure of this thing.

use command below:

cp -pR exe exe_old

cd /sapmnt/<SID>/exe

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe_old/SAPCAR -xvf <kernelfiles.SAR>

Thanks

sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have downloaded SAPEXEDB_159-20000999.SAR,SAPEXE_159-20001001.SAR in the patch /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/newrun.I try to execute the command SAPCAR -xvf SAPEXEDB_159-20000999.I am not get any uncare files.Why?

Regards,

Bala

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have sufficient space, then please download latest SAPCAR file from market place then try.

thanks

sunny

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

have u renamed run ??

as it looks like u r using newrun ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Never use sap file system to uncar kernel files .

Please always use the dierctory that sap doesnot uses.

So copy the SAPCAR file fron the old kernel and place in directory which you create in a different location other than used by sap.

you can download the SAPCAR file from Service market place.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Every thing is correct what they have explained but please dont copy the files u have to Overwrite the old files with existing files in run directory.

Try to run the CAR from run directory to your destination directory.

-Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. First of all, go to the SAP Service Marketplace (service.sap.com), and download your desired kernel version:

Downloads --> SAP Support Packages --> Entry by Application Group --> SAP NetWeaver --> SAP Netweaver --> SAP Netewaver <version> --> Entry by Component --> <select component> --> <select your system version> --> #Database independent (this is the part I. In the same step, select your database to download the part II of the package).

2. After you have the two parts downloaded, log into the OS level and uncar the 2 parts in separate directories. Copy the part I in a new folder, and copy the part II into the same folder (there are cases that files may need to be replaced. replace them, don't worry).

3. Stop the database, SAP and the services related to them (SAPSID##, SAPOSCOL).

4. Backup the old kernel. Usually it is located in: </usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/<uc or nuc>/<system>.

5. Delete the old backed up kernel, and copy the new kernel there.

6. Start the services related, database and SAP.

Now just confirm the new kernel version in SAP.

Rohit