cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF files are stored to /usr/sap/SYS/global

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

True or False --> When a PDF file is generated from within SAP the spool file is stored in /usr/sap/<SID>SYS/global

After a recent upgrade to ECC 6 I'm noticing that a large number of SPOOL* files are in the global directory. Each spool file has 3 components a SPOOL.cfg, SPOOL.xfd and a SPOOL*.ps file .When I examine the spool number using SP01 I see that these jobs all have an output type of PDF. Only files of type PDF appear in the global directory. It does not matter which output device is used. No output device in my system is defined to write to the global directory. Everything is set up to store files to the database.

My assumption is that the generation of a PDF format requires a temporary storage area to convert the data from the "Device Type" setting for the printer (such as Postscript or HPGL) to the PDF format and that the /usr/sap/<SID>SYS/global directory is used for this purpose.

Is there a parameter setting that allows me to modifiy this "conversion" location?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Timothy,

did you find a solution for your problem? Can you change parameters to store .ps/pdf files not in the global-directiory? I ask because I have the same problem.

Regards

Christoph

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I did not find a paramater. I used a symbolic link at the OS layer to resolve the issue.

Which version of NetWeaver are you running?

Do you have a directory called /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/<CLNT>ADSP   ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I don't have a path <CLNT>ADSP. It can be used as subdirectory in the Function Module ADS_GET_PATH, right?

Can you give me a short explanation what you mean with "I used a symbolic link at the OS layer"??

Thank you!

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

SAP Note 1327372 needs to be installed in order change to target location of ADS documents to the directory /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/<CLNT>ADSP

Even after implementing the SAP note the ADS filea are still stored in the global file system. This note creates a subdirectory under /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global for storing the files. I wanted the files stored to a different file system entirely. That way if the ADS file system becomes full my SAP application continues to run. Let me know if you want to do the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Timothy,

to store files in the subdirectory <CLNT>ADSP is not the solution I would have preferred. But it is at least an improvement. As I work on different clients, files will be stored in different paths for different usersgroups.

As you mentioned, a "perfect" solution would be to store files in a totaly different paths apart from the sap system. Especially in cases where the printed data contains secure data. How did you solve this issue?

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Assumptions:
---> You are running on Unix - I don't have instructions for Windows, but they would be analogous
---> Your System ID is TX1
---> 2Gb is big enough to hold your Adobe files

1.) Create a 2Gb file system named /AdobeFiles

2.) Create the required directories under this new file system

- For example: /AdobeFiles/300ADSP 

3.) Verify that the user <sid>adm can write to the directory created in step 2

4.) Apply SAP note 1327372

5.) Rename the filesystems that SAP note 1327372 creates

- For example: mv  /usr/sap/TX1/SYS/global/300ADSP   /usr/sap/TX1/SYS/global/300ADSP-ORG

6.) Create a symbolic link for the required directory to the directory created in step 2

- For example: ln   -s   /AdobeFiles/300ADSP  /usr/sap/TX1/SYS/global/300ADSP

7.) Test your link

cd /usr/sap/TX1/SYS/global/300ADSP
touch TestFile
cd /AdobeFiles/300ADSP/TestFile

Your file should have been created in /AdobeFiles/300ADSP

Answers (0)