cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide mandatory variable in selection screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to hide a variable in the selection screen?

This concerns a mandatory hierarchy node variable (user entry - single value), but these settings cannot be changed. The value for this variable is set via url parameters.

In the selection screen I have 2 variables (one for 0CUSTOMER and one for OCALDAY), but I would like to show only one to the user. The user must be able to set the date or period via the select option-variable on 0CALDAY, but he shouldn't be able to see the other variable on 0CUSTOMER.

Is there any way to hide this variable or is there an alternative to restrict the data in the report other than with a variable where I can set a value via the url parameters?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181964
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am not sure. have you tried personalization of selection screen. pls try that.

regards,

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes.You can try with 'Personalization' of variables.But this otion is user specific.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/3f/30ae3d47afd652e10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope this helps

ThankS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm still looking into some possible solutions.

But I would like to apologize because I forgot to mention that personalisation is not an option. We jump from another application to the Web query by means of one single BW user.

But the value that we transfer for 0CUSTOMER depends on the user that is logged in on the other application (several different users).

So we can't use the personalisation, as this would result in the same value for every user and that's just what we don't need.

All we need is to hide the variable in the selection screen.

I have found some answers regarding the customizing of the selection screen or building/developing your own screen. Can you easily build your own selection screen based on an existing one?

Please keep up the good work.

Message was edited by: Ben De Windt

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Have you tried changing the Ready for Input property? If, when you execute the query or the Web application, the Ready for Input option is active (this is the default setting), a dialog box appears (the variables screen). Please read through the heading Ready for Input in this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/22/1e9b3c334d8c15e10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I have tried by changing this property (I already found out the variable isn't shown in that case) but then I can't set a value for 0CUSTOMER via the url parameters.

So this doesn't solve my problem. Neither does a filter in the url parameter instead of a variable.

For now, I've found a javascript to hide a row in a table which could be used for the selection screen (and it works). All I need to find out is where and how I can insert/activate this code for this certain variable.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for the swift response. I hope I can help you out one day.

Message was edited by: Ben De Windt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Why not change the query's global definition to make this a hard filter instead of a variable? Then, there is no possibility for the normal user to change it.

- Pete

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Would it work to do an auth variable? In this case the value will be picked up the from the user's auth (user who is running this report)...instead of transferring from the URL...

Former Member
0 Kudos

In response to the latest replies:

With a filter one doesn't make a restriction in data and the user could select other values than his own customer number (this is absolutely no option). One customer may only see his data and nothing from another customer. Plus if you use a filter in the url for a certain customer, this column is no longer displayed in the report (you need to add a drilldown on it).

An authorization variable is no solution since we have many different users in the external web application but they all connect to BW with one and the same user. The value for 0CUSTOMER is transferred from the external web application via the url to the BW report (so for every user in the external web application a different value for 0CUSTOMER is transferred to BW).

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to maintain the selection screen for a web query or how one can develop a custom selection screen?

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Have you seen these threads:

May be useful...