cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup on Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Can some one please help me in taking backups from Linux machine for SAP & Oracle data in detail.

OS Linux 5.1 , Oracle 10.2.0.4 and SAP ERP 2005 SR3.

Thanks

Adnan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What type of backup you are planning to go for(Is that a tape or disk backup).

In case if you are going for a disk backup, you need maintain the path of the backup directory in the backup profile (initp<SID>.sap)

If you are planning to take tape backup, make sure that the mt pt of the tape drive has been given 777 permission.(In case of Linux, the mount point will be /dev/nst0 and /dev/nst1.

Regards,

Varadhu...

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Adnan Khalid

brtools are the better for the oracle database backup.u planned for which backup disk backup or tape backup or auto backup or pipe backup.

Coming to os backup using tar or cpio or dump commands to take backup in Linux.

No need to use external software for backup

thanks and regards

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Adnan,

You can schedule your database backup using using tcode DB13. Using BR*Tools also you can take backup by login into DB server.

You need to update your init<SID>.SAP for your backup configuration.

For more details check below link & SAP notes

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/DE/0d/d300d04a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

651812 FAQ: BR*TOOLS and SAPDBA

842240 FAQ: Backup strategy of large and highly-available databases

651812 FAQ: BR*TOOLS and SAPDBA

Thanks,

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushil,

Thanks for the reply, I have checked the link u have sent me ...its for Windows...i wanted to take backups on the Linux Server..Can u please help in this regard.

Thanks

Adnan

0 Kudos

Hi,

The exact link sent may not be valid.

BUT, if you have ALL information about the BR* tools (including BRBACKUP) on the menu in the LEFT of the link he sent.

Not so difficult, I think.

You also have to put a little from your part, otherwise you will never learn.

So, the first thing you need to do is to read the oracle documentation

1) Oracle concepts. That way you will now what has to be backed

2) Backup and Recovery Basics guide.

all oracle documentation can be found [here|http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage] (tab books)

Then, whne you know what do you want to backup and why, you can go to the SAP specific details, on the site you were already given you can find (directly) information about [Database Backup|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/DE/6a/081d7ce5c8fa44af33bd1258547020/frameset.htm]

But do not stop in the page I point to. There are more below

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please provide your existing setup in details.

Like which backup device you have (hardware). Dell Tape Library (Fiber Channel or scsi)

Which software your have to take the sap backup like CA BrightStore ArchServe etc.

After getting some information about your setup i might help to provide the procedure for the same.

But better option is to take the backup thru brtools at command line or DB13 from sap.

Regards,

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mr Fidel,

I am really thankful for the the links that u have sent me ,.I will definitely go through that..and you are right , i havent got Oracle knowledge...anyways...thanks..

I will be getting back to you..

Cheers.

Adnan