Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchorinzation of Reference data (Non Master data) between ECC and MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have the following requirement.

I have an MDM system in which materials are created/changed and those materials are syndicated to ECC system via PI system.

I have no issues in synchronization of master data between MDM and ECC.

But there are various reference data (some 60 types) like Material Types, Material Groups, Country Codes etc which might be maintained in ECC system. I want these reference data to be synchronized to MDM system.

What is the best approach for this type of a scenario?

Should I create 60 interfaces in PI for this?

Or is there a better way?

Regards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

Regards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

When integrating MDM with ECC system the Reference data as in ECC must be maintained in MDM as lookup data.

This is very essential otherwise the master records after maintainence and enrichment in MDM cannot be syndicated to ECC if the reference data is not in sync in both the systems .As you will be allowed to add a new value in MDM say for eg you can add a new material type value say <New1> in MDM however when you try to send this data to ECC in the form of Idocs it will fail as ECC does not recognize <New1>.This is a very basic thing but one must fully understand such details before going for integrations.

In order to synchronise your ECC ref data with MDM you need to follow the below steps:

- Create Lookup tables and lookup fields corectly in MDM which points out to the ECC ref tables and ields.

- Extract these refe table data using the MDMGX extractor program from ECC.This programs directly extracts the master data in the XML form so you do not need XI as a middle ware.Xi is needed when working with the main table records.

- Then Import these Lookup values in the lookup table accordingly in MDM.

Now you can do this in 2 ways:

- You can either extract the ref table data in the MDM port and then import them automatically.However this method is not very flexible as you will have to create Ports for each ref table in MDM which will become too time consuming and error prone.

- The second way is you extract this data and save it on your local desktop and then from there you manully import it in MDM.for this you do not ahve to maintain separate ports for each interface.

Regarding delta:

Regarding delta import of the reference data,i do not think the ref table values change very frequently.So most of the time this is a one time process.However if you have new values in ECC whihc you need to add in the MDM tables then you can do it directly by a manual process.

The best practice could be that you maintain your Lookup table values in an Excel workbook and then any new extract form ECC can be compared against this sheet and tehn added accordingly.

You can have a look at the MDM ECC integration scenario

/people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/27/mdm-xi-r3-integration

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The best practice would be to maintain your reference data in ECC and keep it in synch with MDM reference data by importing of this reference data to MDM occassionally as reference data is a one time import generally, followed by deltas occassionally.

Using MDMGX you can extract these reference data, for which you do not need interface via PI.

This transaction helps you to get the reference data directly in XML files which are accepted formats for MDM.

Refer https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0740b31-a934-2b10-2e95-af225299...

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Minaz,

Thanks a tonne for the quick and very helpful reply.

Is there any best practice or recommendation for how frequently should the deltas to be done?

And can we schedule MDMGX to run as a batch?

Regards,

Ravi kanth Talagana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The best practice is use to import all the eference table data from ECC to MDM by using MDMGX if you have PI in the landscape. By doing so you will be having only the legal values in the look table in MDM. Adding reference data directly in MDM is not a best practice.

Coming to frequency: It once again depends on how frequently a new reference data i created. Generally every week the lookup table data will be refreshed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The deltas of the reference data can be imported depending on the frequency of this data getting changed or added which can be once in fifteen days or so.There is no specific scheduling mechanism for the reference data deltas as we have for main table data using MDM_CLNT_EXTR.

However you can automate the import process using MDIS for which you need to create differenet ports for each reference data and create differnet maps for each of them.For each map you need to do some settings in the import manager for delta recods.

Set MDIS Unmapped Value Handling = Add and

Automatic Value Mapping as YES and save the map once again.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz