cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation of columns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

yesterday I tried to deploy a model with a query which has more than 255 columns.

It failed.

There occured an error and the system (Internet Explorer) was very slow.

The first problem was a popup which told me that a script running in the background, maybe the process needs a lot of time. I accepted the hint and started the deployment.

After a while at the stage of 85% of deployment the system finished with an error.

Does anybody know about a limit of columns which are applicable with the visual composer?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regads

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

I was running into a similar problem with the same message of scripting error...I was adviced to scrap that model and redesign it in a fresh model...Explanation given was "Sometimes when u play around(mean add and delete components,connector..etc) with such huge column models VC generates some junk code which cause the script error and make IE run real slow". I did that, it ran smooth without any problems.

Thanks,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not really sure that it is a problem of column number, but a problem of loads of the server/visual composer process.

Maybe you can have 254 columns on a table without problem if you just display them, but you'lle be in trouble interacting with them.

I would say it is more linked to your server configuration than Visual Composer limitation, but I am really curious of any hint on that.

I just deployed a 280 columns table test model without any problem.

Fabien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I never used these many columns but just giving my views. Normally we keep 'Key Figures' in columns & at the max we may need 20 - 30 key figures not more than that. If you are using any complex calculations or ristriction in these then performance may detiriorate or even it may not work. But if you are just keeping characteristic in columns & you are getting columns for each master data value then there should not be any problem. If you look at Query properties (Data Service Properties) then there you can ristrict no of rows but no such option is available for columns.

Its always better to scroll down than to scroll across. But there is no such limit of max number of columns, It depends on what content you are showing in columns.

Regards

Sandeep