cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INtegrating Two databases in the universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My Reqirement is to merge two dabases and to show the consolidated data in one report,i had done this before as well but the problem which i'm facing now is :

i have merged the two databases in the universe using derived tables,now i need to point universe of ten reports to the new integrated universe.

When i tried doing this i'm getting data from only one data base,if i tried creating new report from the same universe it is giving me correct data the problem occures only when i try to point the universe of existing reports to new integrated universe.

Please suggest what could be the problem, idont want top create the 10 reports again.

thanks in advance.

Ravichnadra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fvan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ravichnadra

Could you explain in more details how you succeeded to create multi-source Universe with a derived table?

By default Universes are mono source and can only connect to one source.

For multi-source access, we recommend to use Data Federator to design your multi-source data foundation then create the associated business layer in the Universe.

Data Federator has a mapping rule concept which helps to map your sources to your target.

By creating multiple mapping rules per target you get the Union of the souces per default.

You can chech the DF [blog|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/u/251908199] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; if you want to get more details about our federation capabilites.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fred,

As expalined i had done this before as well.I have used union in the derived table.

Ex:

select * from DBname1.tablename

union

select * from DBname2.tablename

Now tell me why we need data fedarator when we could achieve this using derived table.i'm getting proper data in the report if i create new one but i'n not able to poit the existing reports to this newly created uiniverse.But i dont want to create so many reports again.please suggest what could be done.

Note : My DB is Sql server.

Ravichandra

fvan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Ex:

> select * from DBname1.tablename+ > union+ > select * from DBname2.tablename

>

> Now tell me why we need data fedarator when we could achieve this using derived table.i'm getting proper data in the report if i create new one but i'n not able to poit the existing reports to this newly created uiniverse.But i dont want to create so many reports again.please suggest what could be done.

>

> Note : My DB is Sql server.

> Ravichandra

Good catch. I misunderstood that you use 2 databases from the same instance.

In your case, DF is not required but with DF will get access to data stored in different instances or even other DB vendor database (mixing SQL Server with Oracle for instance).

Fred

Edited by: Frederic Vanborre on May 29, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers (0)